Tomato Sauce Recipes

Category Sauces
A pot of tomato sauce being cooked.
An abundance of garden tomatoes or a sale at the market is the first step to making your own tomato sauce. This page contains tomato sauce recipes.

Can anybody post good recipes for spaghetti sauce. I have an abundance of tomatoes from the garden, but I don't want to can them. Can I make the sauce and freeze it in freezer bags? I also have tons of cherry tomatoes. Thanks a bunch!

Kim

Top Comment

Yes, you can make spaghetti sauce and freeze it. It works very well. You can also use this method to make other tomato products, including juice. First, you will want to peel the tomatoes. I hate to throw away the nutrition in peels, but tomato skin in sauce just gets stuck between teeth. Drop the tomatoes into boiling water just until the skins split. Then, quickly remove them, and cool them. The skin will pull off easily. You may also wish to remove the seeds; slit open and scoop the seeds out with your fingers. You can save those skins (and seeds) to flavor a broth, and then compost them.

Now, mash or blend or puree the pulp. Now's your chance to have tomato sauce that is just as chunky or smooth as you prefer. Pour your sauce into a pot or pan of suitable size, simmer, and add spices and herbs to your taste. You might add a little salt or a bit of sugar. Sometimes it helps to add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice, especially if you are making tomato juice.

Some herbs and spices that go well with tomatoes are: onion, garlic, oregano, sage, marjoram, thyme, parsley, cilantro, celery, and celery seed. If you want to experiment a bit more, you could try a bit of onion and garlic, some lemon juice, and balance with a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg. Taste as you go, using the two-spoon method.

The two-spoon method of tasting: use one spoon for getting some of the food from the cooking vessel, and pour that into the spoon that you taste from. I know that the French chefs on TV don't go to that much bother, but saliva does contain enzymes that break down food, and cooking kills germs, but not all enzymes. Always be careful never to get saliva into food that will be stored!

Once you get the flavor you desire, and the mixture is heated all through, you have a finished product you can freeze, if you don't eat it all up right away!

Rose B, hardcore pennypincher

Top Comment

Extra tomatoes can simply be put through a food processor or a blender and frozen for later use. I use the puree for any tomatoes needed in cooking (soups, sauces, etc.) as well as for raw salsa all year round.

This is a great mild red sauce that the kids can help make. This year I made a double batch using fresh tomatoes from the garden (with skins removed), rather than the canned tomatoes, and processed it in pint jars using the hot water bath canning method. Great on spaghetti.

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.

Place the tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze with spoon or hands to break them into small pieces (I like to put the kids in charge of this part). Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot with the onion and stir well.

Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You can store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, freeze up to 3 months, or I have canned it. One batch makes 10 cups (2 1/2 quarts).

Note: Add red pepper flakes if you like a little more kick. I often fuss with the spices to taste and have added finely chopped zucchini for a vegetable boost.

Source: Emeril's "There's a Chef in My Soup!" So far this is the best kid's cookbook I have found. The directions are great and all the meals I have tried were nutritious and enjoyable for the whole family.

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

I recently decided to make my own spaghetti sauce. I buy an institutional size can (106 oz.) of ground and peeled tomatoes at a Sam's Club type store for approximately $2.50, and then add my Italian seasoning. It is enough to fill 3 quart jars or more containers. It is very thick and flavorful. The "gourmet" spaghetti sauces sell here for $4-6 a jar. This is also healthier because you can control the sodium and fat which was a motivating factor for me.

By Merlene from Acton, MA

• cheesecloth bag
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup celery tops, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 cups ripe tomatoes, finely diced
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 small bay leaf
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 4 whole black peppercorns

Directions:

Saute' garlic and onion in oil; add celery, green pepper, tomatoes, sugar, salt and water. Tie bay leaf, peppercorns and cloves in cheesecloth bag; then add. Cook slowly, uncovered, 20 minutes. Remove spice bag. Press mixture through a coarse sieve and stir in tomato paste and heat.

Note: Instead of a sieve, you can also use a blender to give the sauce a very smooth consistency. Also, if you use a blender, the bay leaf, peppercorns and cloves may be left in for a spicier sauce.

I am looking for a recipe using hamburger meat with tomato sauce.

By danod232 from Santa Fe, NM

Hamburger Skillet Stew

By chef samantha

Created 22 Jun 2009 - 4:55am

Hamburger skillet stew is a filling and heavy stew made with ground beef and breadcrumbs. Cooked with eggs, and flavored with Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, onion, carrots, potatoes and green beans, the hamburger skillet stew can be served with rice or soft dinner rolls.

1 lb. lean ground beef 1/2 c. fine dry bread crumbs 14 c. finely chopped onion 1 egg Salt 1/4 tsp. pepper 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce 2 tbsp. Wesson oil 1 Ige. onion, quartered 4 med. carrots, sliced 2 small potatoes, quartered 1 c. water 1 pkg. frozen cut green beans

Directions:

Combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Shape into 16 balls. Brown in hot oil in large skillet. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, water and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour in remaining sauce. Cover; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add beans during last 30 minutes of cooking time.

Here's a recipe my Mom used to make.

Porcupine Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef

1/4 tsp. pepper

2/3 c. minute rice, uncooked

1/4 c. chopped onions

2 tbsp. shortening

1 tsp. salt

1 c. water

2 sm. cans tomato sauce

Garlic salt to taste

Mix beef, rice, onions, and seasonings in medium mixing bowl. Form small balls. Fry in hot shortening, turning often until well browned. Drain well. Add tomato sauce and water. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Could I use the Nutribullet Extractor instead of a food grinder on whole tomatoes (minus stem and leaves, of course) and then pour them into sterilized glass Mason canning jars and pressure cook for canning as tomato sauce? I have done lots of canning and want to put up my own spaghetti sauce, but would rather not have to spend the extra money on a food grinder. Also, if the tomatoes are washed, wouldn't there be more nutrients by pulverizing the skin and seeds into the sauce? I think this is worth looking into if you are a serious canner! Also, the thickness of the sauce would be adjustable as to how much water/chunk tomato you use. Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice.

By Wendy S.