Frugal Tomato Sauce

I recently decided to make my own spaghetti sauce. I buy an institutional size can (106 oz.) of ground and peeled tomatoes at a Sam's Club type store for approximately $2.50, and then add my Italian seasoning. It is enough to fill 3 quart jars or more containers. It is very thick and flavorful. The "gourmet" spaghetti sauces sell here for $4-6 a jar. This is also healthier because you can control the sodium and fat which was a motivating factor for me.

By merlene smith from Acton, MA

I do this too, I noticed how much cheaper it was to get the big can versus all the small cans of tomatoes at Costco. I like to start with onions, garlic, carrots and celery, chopped fine. I saute these in a bit of olive oil until they are soft and the onions are translucent. Then I add in the tomatoes and spices. I let it simmer for a couple of hours, if I have time and it is way better than any jar of sauce you can buy.

If I have to use jarred sauce, I will start the same way, with the sauteed veggies. Yum, I may have to make spaghetti tonight for dinnner!

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to switch to a sauce like this, as it would have less sodium than the jarred sauce.

I'm going to try it this weekend!

Could you tell me how much you add to a can of tomatoes that large? And how do you store the sauce long term?

Thanks! :)

I would like to know how you store it too. Do you freeze it?

To follow up on the spaghetti sauce, I am one of those cooks who eyeball amounts. My husband and I like things pretty spicy. I add garlic and Italian Seasoning herbs to taste. Probably 2 to 3 Tbsp. If I have fresh basil I'll add that too. As for storage, it depends how much cooking I'm going to do. The sauce can be used in lots of recipes calling for spaghetti sauce. If I'm not doing a lot of cooking I put it in plastic containers and freeze.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsSeptember 2, 2009
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf88445505.tip.html