Fast and Easy Garden Tomato Sauce

I can't believe how fast it is to make good homemade tomato sauce. The secret is pureeing the tomatoes with skins on, first! Great and easy way to use all your garden tomato abundance. Check this out!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

1. Core tomatoes and slice into quarters.
  2. Add to blender or food processor and puree.
  3. Add to a pot and turn on low/medium.
  4. Core and quarter your onion and peppers. Puree them.
  5. Add the pureed onion and pepper into a oiled pan and cook a few minutes until soft and transparent a bit.
  6. Add to your pot of pureed tomato. Continue cooking on medium.
  7. Cut up fresh or just add your choice of seasonings to the pot.
  8. Within thirty minutes my sauce tasted good! Some folks like to add some brown sugar and salt to enhance the flavor. Some add a bit of flour to thicken. There is a split pea flour that I have added to the recipe (only 1/4 cup) but just experiment. It worked and tasted great!
  9. I left mine cook longer because I am used to having a slow cooked sauce and like that flavor. I made my spaghetti noodles and we had a lovely meal!
  10. I ended up using some of the final product as a pizza sauce the next day, too!

Looks delicious but unless you grow your own tomatoes this is WAY more expensive than the quality name brands, and more expensive than even premium artisan brands. Tomatoes are about $1.69/lb here while some quality bottled sauce is always on sale for $1.69-$2.50. And they're also all natural, with no thickeners, and often have ingredients I don't have at hand like pecorino cheese, sun dried tomatoes, morel mushrooms, etc. This is a great way to use up a crop of tomatoes but it really isn't worth it otherwise unless you have dietary restrictions.

Also, I rarely puree the tomatoes, and if I do, i only puree half of them. That's because we like our sauce chunky. Pureeing also makes the sauce less thick. We prefer not to use thickeners so we mash the tomatoes instead of pureeing.

That, along with a reduction, makes for a thicker sauce. That said, the result will have bits of skin, which we like. But a lot of people don't, so you'd either need to peel the tomatoes or puree, as instructed in this recipe.

Thanks for your comments! All true!
We do have an organic garden and TONS of tomatoes this year...as I speak there are 4 huge bowls on my table and more still in the garden. So we have more then plenty and even get to donate produce to a homeless teen shelter nearby.

Fyi- I normally make my sauce from my italian mothers old recipe recipe which takes 3 hours and I too like thick sauce.
Sounds like you really enjoy it as well!
Mangia!

Thanks for your comments! All true!

Mangia!

🎃