FamilyBetter Living

Basket of Encouragement for Cancer Patient

My brother, who is 64, just found out that he has cancer. I want to send him a basket of encouragement, but I sure could use ideas as to what to include. Your ideas and prayers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would do a basket of teas, essential oils, books, and socks. Praying for him!

An inspirational book is a must, I would include word games and puzzles. Lotions are also good, because treatments can make the skin dry.

What are some of his favorite snacks, treats, or childhood memory? What was his comfort toy as a child. He may need that comfort again even being 64!

I hope all the best.

actually i would try to help him with his treatment-links to research trials and things about targeted chemo. unfortunately sometimes the cure is worse than the disease...if you don't want to be maudlin, include some dvds and/or cds

When my sister in law and I fought our battles, we did not like people giving us that info. We heard it enough from the doctor visits we were at constantly. We needed a break from it. At one point, she even had a sign on her door: "If you are here to visit, come on it. If you are here to educate me on my disease, please don't. I prefer to focus on something nicer"

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. Think of things he likes, such as magazines, warm sox, homemade goodies, gloves, gift cards to his favorite fast food place. I'll add my prayers that God will be merciful.