Bat Repellents

Category Bats
This is a guide about bat repellents. Although these mammals eat lots of insect pests, they can be a nuisance in your outdoor living space.

How do I deter bats from flying in my enclosed balcony and depositing guano all over tiles which sets like glue and is almost impossible to remove?

Richard from India

Answers

Ahhh wonderful bats! You may need to call a professional first to make sure you don't have bats dwelling in your home.

We have a hotel and open air restaurant on the Panamerican Highway in N. Nicaragua. We appreciate the value of the fruit bats but they have taken to roosting in the straw roofed "ranchos" under which our clients eat and rest in hammocks, with the expected results. The 3.0 hectare site is full of mangos, cashews, eucalyptus, etc. How can we persuade them to re-locate.

You gotta love all the comments about educating yourself and loving the cute, astonishing little mammals...try wadding through GUANO every morning. I can get rid of mosquitoes with a spray of listerine, but to eliminate the bat droppings, I must contaminate a broom, and on humid days that does NOT even work. Scrape! Exterminators put up a sticky board, then they remove the bats and more take their place. Exterminators are not the solution. Any better ideas?

There are bats flying around our yard and pool every night and it is starting to scare the kids. Does anyone know any way to get rid of them?

Elaine from Pasadena, MD

Answers:

Bat Repellents

Get rid of the bugs they're after and you won't have so many....

Seriously, they're very beneficial to have around. Educate yourself and the kids about them, and you might find you enjoy them! (Their aerobatics are amazing to watch.)

Try www.batcon.org (Bat Conservation International) as a starting point for information.

Your kids will be much better off to learn enough facts to ease their fears (and dispel some old wive's tales--like they won't get caught in the hair...; there are not vampire bats in MD, etc.) than to continue to fear them in ignorance. Let them learn enough about bats to become the neighborhood experts.

For very young children, read Stellaluna. It is about a fruit bat, which we also don't have in the northern climes; but sure makes a cute little critter more "user friendly". (Then you can refer to bats you see outside as "stellalunas".) (07/18/2006)

By

Bat Repellents

You may want to rethink this. I don't know how to repel but wish I could get more around my house They eat a ton of bugs including mosquitoes. They really are much more helpful than harmful. (07/19/2006)

By Linda in Missouri

Bat Repellents

Don't get rid of them! The eat loads of mosquitoes and other bugs you don't want to have around and they really are harmless. To keep your kids from being scared spend some time looking up info on bats. Buy them a book on bats or do some web searches for info and once the kids know more and learn about how cool they are they won't be afraid. (07/19/2006)

By Trix

Bat Repellents

I agree with the other posts here about them eating bugs but I have also heard some real horror stories about them being rabid. To me, I would a lot rather not have them around. Check with your area conservation office. (07/19/2006)

By Robin

Bat Repellents

Bats eat bugs and small rodents and rotting fruit. If you have fruit trees, keep the area picked up. Otherwise, read your kids the book STELLALUNA, and learn that bats are our friends. Few bats are rabid-call animal control to find out if rabid bats are a problem. Don't interact with or try to touch the bats, just learn to coexist. (07/21/2006)

By Linda

Bat Repellents

Please do not try to get rid of the bats. Instead educate yourself and your children about them. Once you have done that, you will appreciate the good the bats do and will no longer fear them. (07/22/2006)

By Josephine

Bat Repellents

There is a company call Bird-X which is dedicated to promote a humane way to deal with wild pests. They offer an ultrasonic repeller called Transonic PRO which is effective for all rodent including BATS.

This is their website. www.bird-x.com/products/trans.html

You might as well visit their reference letters which talked about how their customers with bat problems had successfully get rid of their bat problems with an ultrasonic sonic pest repeller.

I hope you find this information helpful and this device is good enough to solve your bat problems. (08/18/2006)

By Sanchez