AdviceDogs

Beeswax Product for Dog's Poopy Butt

My standard Poodle gets a poopy butt; he has a "sanitary clip" from the groomer. I recently saw a notice of a product that can be applied to the hair on his butt which will make the poop "slide off" and not build up. It contains beeswax and is natural. He resists having us wash his butt daily, so this product could make his life easier. I think it is a balm. Has anyone heard of this?

We used regular baby wipes.

I have Bichon Frise dogs and they have the same problem. I just keep the hair cut really short around their butt so this doesn't happen. If one of them has poop on their butt I need to clean them. Yes, they do get angry with me for this. However, you can always use baby wipes to make the job a lot easier. I'm sure you can find them for not too much money at the dollar stores in your area. I've never put any product on my dog's hair because they like to lick themselves and this could prove to be dangerous.

You might want to consider changing dogfood so your pup has a firmer stool. Your Vet should have some good suggestions. Some people feed canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to firm up stool.

It is 2 teaspoons for a small dog and 2 tablespoons for a large dog. For some dogs feeding canned food firms up the stool.