Bengal Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
These beautiful, intelligent cats with their spotted fur and large size look like miniature wild cats. They also make great pets. This is a page about Bengal breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Bengal is easy to distinguish by its muscular body, large feet, and beautifully spotted coat. The result of crossing a domestic cat with a wild Asian Leopard Cat, Bengals are large cats, with males weighing as much as 22 pounds. Similar to their wild counterparts, their coats are covered in black spots (or occasionally dark rosettes), but lack the spotted tail and the distinctive black and white ringed ear patch that is seen on leopards in the wild.

History & Origin: The Bengal breed is the result of crossing domestic shorthair cats with Asian Leopard Cats. This was first done in the 1970s as part of a study on feline leukemia conducted by Dr. Willard Centerwall, a geneticist at the University of California. Eight female hybrids were then acquired by another geneticist in California to use as foundation stock for what would later become the Bengal breed. Bengal were first recognized by the International Cat Association in 1983.

Character & Temperament: Bengal are playful and imaginative and have a unusual affinity for water. This breed has a 'wild' element to its voice and is a skilled climber and hunter. Like their wild counterparts, the Bengal is very agile, athletic and highly intelligent. As a companion the Bengal is outgoing, social, loving and affectionate.

Colors: leopard; marble; snow leopard; snow marble; sorrel; mink

Coat Type: Shorthair; The Bengal has a short to medium coat that is dense and luxuriously soft to the touch.

Grooming: Brush weekly to keep in top form-more when shedding. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned only when necessary.

Health Considerations: Unknown

Trivia: The Bengal was initially called the 'Leopardette.' Although hybrid cats usually produce offspring that are infertile, this did not prove to be the case with the Bengal.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Let me introduce you to our newest family member. Her name is 'Virginia Wolf' and we got her from our local humane society. She was taken from a breeder where she and 30 other Bengal's were living under deplorable conditions. She has been with us for a week and so far (among other things) she has knocked over our 32 inch flat screen TV. So, today we went TV hunting and yes we are keeping the cat. :O) Our house now looks like a recycling place as we have aluminum foil everywhere to deter her from any more of these shenanigans. 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?' I wonder?

By Joanne from Fond du Lac, WI

Virginia Wolf Bengal House Cat

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

Here is Virginia Wolff, a 5 year old Bengal, we got from the humane society. She likes to tear around the house like crazy. This is Virginia Woolf's reaction when I told her we might get her a playmate from the humane society.

Virgina Wolf (Bengal House Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

Our cat October (Bengal) showing his good side, in our backyard in Laguna Hills, CA.

October (Bengal)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

I got him a year ago from a breeder in San Diego. He was a tiny baby when I brought him home.

Full view of October.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Jasmine is a seven month old Bengal. I located her on the internet in May. She likes to play fetch. Trained to walk on a leash, loves the outdoors, and likes to play in the water!

She is very active and on the go most of the time.

Jasmine (Bengal)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I got Wolfie from the Humane Society.

Wolfie (Bengal Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Zoe is a 4 month old half Bengal and half Siamese. My husband's niece bought Zoe at a pet shop for her little girl. She discovered her daughter was allergic to her, so she asked me if I wanted her. Of course, I said yes.

Comment Like this photo? 8

I got them this month. They are inseparable. These are my new furry grandchildren, Ilka and Gustav.

puppy and kitten

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Zawardi Olympia is a 4 month old Bengal. I got her November 8th of 2008. She is always in the sink playing with water or trying to get into the bath.

She came 2nd in her first show and was the youngest kitten at the show.

Zawardi Olympia (Bengal)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

From a local breeder, as a kitten. He likes to harass my other Bengal, Ming. Or sit on the sofa with me and watch Live PD. Seriously, that's his favorite show!

Shu (Snow Bengal) - cat on cat tree

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Pets Cats Cat BreedsJune 7, 2013
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Bengal-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html