Birthday Cake Decorations for a Hunter

My husband is a hunter and I saw a picture (on Pinterest) of cupcakes with shotguns shells made out of fondant on top of them. I am not good with fondant, so I was wondering what candies I could use to make them look like shot gun shells.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I would use any nut shell as the base and cover with fondant. Make sure you tell people not to eat it

Why not use a few real empty shells.

I would thoroughly wash some used shells and use them, after trying the fondant. You may want to try making your own marshmallow fondant vs using store bought as many pre-made fondants dry out quickly and are hard to work with.

You could use the large sized tootsie rolls

You could try making small cartridge bottoms from cardboard - cut a square of the size wanted, and gluing the sides together. A circle could provide the base. Cover this part with silver paint. Then the business part could be a torpedo shaped piece of marzipan, which should be easy to work with.

If you are not good at using fondant, I would suggest buying little plastic deer, rabbits, etc. at HobbyLobby or other craft supply store as toppers instead of shotgun shells.

You do not say what kind of hunter but I tend to agree that maybe looking in a crafts store or toy store for some of the small animal packages instead of trying to use bullets.

But - if you have your heart set on bullets - then maybe one of the other suggestions would work. Probably be a "hit" anyway you decide.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesDecember 28, 2016
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake Ideas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:53:21 PM on 10.0.2.91 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.