Gift BoxesGifts

Birthday Cake Gift Box

Make this cute little birthday cake gift box with items you may already have at home. It is the perfect little box for a small gift like a necklace, bracelet, pair of earrings, or just a bit of money. I made this birthday cake gift box for our niece in her favorite colors, pink and green.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 cake

1. Using an empty tape roll, measure 3 strips of paper. 2 strips will be the same size and width as the outer roll and 1 strip will need to be cut about 3/4" wider than the roll.
  2. Optional: Paint the edges of the tape roll.
  3. The 2 strips of paper that are the same size as the roll will be glued to the outside and inside of the roll.
  4. To create this birthday cake gift box, you will need the 3rd strip. Create a line, marking where you cut an extra 3/4" in width and using that line as a guide, snip all along the edge up to the line.
  5. Fold the strip over like so, along the line.
  6. Trace the inside of the tape roll and cut out the circle. Then trace around the outside of the tape roll and cut out.
  7. Now you are working with the smaller circle (made using the inside of the tape roll). Wrap the strip of fringed paper to create a circle the same size as the flat one. Before gluing down the base and taping the sides of the circle, make sure this fits inside the tape roll as the gift box. Then glue the circle onto the fringed strip.
  8. To make the "plate" for the birthday cake, I traced around a CD onto patterned floral paper. Then I cut it out and glued it onto the CD.
  9. Glue the box base to the CD. Also glue the remaining paper circle onto the top of the tape roll. Your gift box will now resemble a plain cake.
  10. Ready to decorate the cake. I used crepe paper streamers. Cut a long strip and fold it in half. I used two colors. Then I twisted and intertwined both colors into a braid.
  11. Hot glue to the top of the cake as icing.
  12. Then, I used ribbon stickers and decorated some more along the side of the cake, around the top and bottom.
  13. For finishing touches, a candle was made with a craft stick (cut in half). Hot glue a heart gem onto the button and then glue the button to the craft stick. I then secured the craft stick to the center of the cake.