Crochet Winter Hat

This is a basic winter hat for a tween, using easy double and single crochet stitches. You can whip one up in about an hour, and this should fit ages 9-12.

Total Time: About 1 hour

1. Ch 5, join.
  2. Ch 3, 13 dc in ring, join.
  3. Ch 3, 1dc in same space as ch, 2 dc in each stitch around, join.
  4. Ch 3, 1 dc in same space as ch, 1 dc in next stitch, *2 dc in next stitch, 1 dc in next stitch*, repeat steps between ** around, join.
  5. Advertisement

6. Ch 3, 1 dc in same space as ch, 1 dc in each of next 2 stitches, *2 dc in next stitch, 1 dc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch, 1 dc in each of next 2 stitches*, repeat steps between ** join.
  7. Ch 3, 1 dc in next stitch and each around, join.
  8. Repeat last step 8 times more, yet making the 7th row of another color. **My model likes his hats a little shorter than most.:) If you want your hat to come down farther, this is where you will work 1 or 2 more rows.
  9. Advertisement

10. Ch 1, work 1 sc in same stitch as ch and each around. Fasten off and weave in ends.
  11. All set!

Good lookin hat....but girls could wear it, too....so why not just call it a winter hat (instead of a boy's hat)? Just a thought

Thanks for the suggestion, dru. You have a very good point.

I have changed the title of this post and will consider whether gender designations are needed in future titles.

This is just what it says! I am so sick of following directions to the letter and I end up with a hat that would fit a giant!

I've made this hat with three different size hooks. This is a loose stitch. I make beanies for charity and I've already made this six times. Works up fast.

Thank you

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this pattern.

Crafts Crochet HatsDecember 21, 2015
🍀
💘