Breadstick Recipes

Category Breads
Breadsticks can be easily made at home. This page contains breadstick recipes.

Ingredients

• 1 cup bisquick
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shedded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tsp. finely chopped onions
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Directions

Mix all together, form into 1 log, then cut into 8 pieces, (for this will make 8 sticks). Take each slice and roll into log. Bake 375 degrees F for approx. 12-15 minutes. Brush with butter and serve. Mmm, mmm good.

Source: I got the recipe for making bisquick from scratch off your website. I'm so glad I wanted to make these or I would of never found ThriftyFun. Thanks, I have spent my afternoon on your site. I have also passed it on to my sisters and friends.

By Bo from Burlington, Ontario

These are great with spaghetti, lasagna or other 'Italian' dishes. Kids love them.

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine, softened
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • onion salt, garlic salt, or herbs to taste

Directions:

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in bowl. Stir in cheese. Add milk and margarine; mix with fork to form soft dough. Knead 10 times on lightly floured surface. Roll into 12x16 inch rectangle. Cut into 3/4 x 8 inch strips. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg; sprinkle with onion salt, garlic salt or herbs to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Servings: 10
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Conveniently frozen bread dough can be formed into bread sticks and delightfully seasoned. This is a guide about making the best ever bread sticks using Rhodes frozen dough.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains soft breadstick recipes. A yummy addition to many main dishes or salads are bread sticks.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 5 1/2-6 cups flour
  • 2 packages active dry yeast
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 slightly beaten egg white
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • Ad

• coarse salt, garlic salt, or Parmesan cheese

Directions

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Add 2 cups warm water. Beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds, scraping the sides of bowl constantly. Beat at high speed 3 minutes. With spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as possible. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead in enough of remaining flour to make stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, kneading 8-10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in greased bowl, turning to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1-1 1/2 hours. Grease baking sheet. Punch down, turn onto lightly floured surface and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut each half in 24 pieces. Roll each piece in a rope 8 inches long. Place ropes on baking sheet, cover and let rise until nearly double, about 30 minutes. Beat egg white with water and brush ropes with mixture. Sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt, or Parmesan. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees F and bake 20-25 minutes longer. Makes 48.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Thaw dough, but do not let raise. Spread out on lightly greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan. Spread melted margarine on bread and then sprinkle on the seeds, bouillon and cheese.

For quick breadsticks take store bought refrigerator biscuits and roll them into little "snakes" and dip each one into some melted butter that has about a tsp. of garlic powder in it.

I'm seeking ideas for bread sticks and cookie sticks! I received a lovely lead crystal container as my first Christmas gift of 2007. The interior of the cylindrical container is just over 7" tall and about 5.25" in diameter. Although you could use it for flowers (a lot of them because the mouth is huge), I would like to put food in it, because it would be displayed very well!

I'm thinking about bread sticks, very long cookie sticks, or maybe dipped pretzels - although I'm guessing those long, thick pretzel sticks may not be long enough! I really wouldn't have to put stick shapes in there - maybe it could be something people could get out with long toothpicks or a long spoon. I need your imaginations!

Liz from Maryland

Answers

Long biscotti

What about adding something to the bottom of the crystal vase? Like waxed paper or something, crunched up to fill the bottom a little then add the dipped pretzels ect. Tie a simple red or gold ribbon around the center.

I have seen (in magazines) a lot of tall vases filled with lemons. Just stack them to the top and put on a table. Very chic and inexpensive.

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade dear, But If you check...LEAD is in lead crystal and is NOT SAFE to use for FOOD items.Just check out any of the dept. stores in your area. They have warning signs up in their displays of lead crystal. Kohls,Linens and Things, Penny's Macy's,Costco etc. all do here in Ca. I was told that if you line the container with plastic wrap first it is ok ,But I do not trust that for my great granddaughter and great grandsons. How do we know for sure? Be aware..and BE SAFE. Maybe use it for fresh flowers with a small bare tree branch sprayed white and artificial bird or a small flowering plant,fill in the vase with greens to hide the pot, fill with small pinecones with ever green sprigs/holly or those tiny shiny foil packages,and the shiny Christmas ornaments come in many sizes, mix some together. Hope this is helpful to you. Great Granny Hugs,Vi

Thanks, Gran and everyone! I had it in the back of my mind that I had to check the lead issue, but hadn't gotten around to it! I love all your suggestions, and the vase is so big around that I definitely have room to line it for edibles. Thanks! Keep those ideas coming! Happy Holidays! Liz

I must second the biscotti idea. Look on Martha Stewart's site for recipes. I've used her recipe before, for Christmas gifts, actually, and it turned out great.