Breeding Budgies

Category Birds
Pet budgies, also known as parakeets, can be bred by their owners. This is a guide about breeding budgies.

I have a pair of budgies and the female is a year or two older than the male. About two years ago, the female had a failure on two eggs with a different male. Now the female mated with the new male a few days ago. Today's the fourth day and the female has laid the second egg. The problem is she cracked the first egg and laid the second egg on the floor. I applied nail polish to the slightly cracked egg and placed it in the nest together with the second egg, but she would never return to her nest. Before she laid, she was considering between the nest inside the cage and the hollow space behind the old smoke ventilation fan in our kitchen. Right now, her interest is at the fan. Should I placed both eggs to the new place or just the second one? Please help.

Answers

I breed cockatiels & they don't start sitting on their eggs until the third one. Personally I would keep all the eggs in the nest box. Put on cotton gloves before you handle them. Maybe throw the cracked egg away.

Throw away any broken eggs. Especially if you've tampered with it. The bird may think a predator has tampered with the nest and avoid it.
In the future, very carefully use something to move only non-broken eggs to her nest, but no broken or cracked ones.
I would suggest not letting your budgie out of the cage if she is supposed to be nesting.

I have 2 birds, a female and a male. I would like to know how to mate them and what should I get them before they mate and after they mate. What should I do after she lays an egg, like move the male or egg?

Answers

Firstly remove one of the females. If the male appears to sit close or preen one in particular , then keep that one with him.

A nest box with shredded newspaper or nesting should be placed in the cage. Mating may take a few weeks , mainly in a warmer climate like spring & summer. Once the first 2 or 3 eggs are laid the birds will take turns to sit on them for up to 21 days . Once hatched you should do nothing except occasionally check to see that the babies are ok. But only do this once you see both mum & dad out of the box. Too much interfering by you may cause the parents to ignore the babies & they may die. Babies will be fully fledged from 5 to 7 weeks old. If you do not want babies then I suggest not putting the nest box in the cage. I suggest that you GOOGLE " how to breed Budgies " to get extensive information on the subject. Good luck as this is a satisfying hobby if successful.