Breeding Lovebirds

Category Birds
Breeding lovebirds takes time, energy, and a love of the birds. This is a guide about breeding lovebirds.

Whenever I put a nesting box in the cage of my lovebirds, two birds always ruin it by dropping it down. I have also tried to attach it with a long and thick wire, but it never worked. What should I do?

By Sayan from India

Answers

Firstly & most important is to seperate the pair that you want to breed - as with most birds at breeding time. There can be fighting to the death - also other birds will sabortage the nest & eggs.

Try screwing small screws into the side of the box & wrap thin wire (like that would be used on the back of paintings) around the screws and attach to the side of the cage - support the bottom of the nest box with solid perches.

PS. Be sure not to leave over hanging wire sticking out,as the birds could get it in their eyes.

I have a pair of lovebirds. I bought them in 2009 and the female has never laid any eggs. Is there anything I can do?

By Hegde