Brown Tomato Gravy
Another delicious, economical, healthy meatless meal that will use up your abundance of tomatoes. I did not peel the tomatoes. It was served it over brown rice and completed the meal with a salad and broccoli.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Source: More with Less Cookbook
- 2-3 firm tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- flour to coat the tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Coat the slices of tomato in the flour.
- Heat the oil in the skillet and quickly brown the tomato slices on both sides.
- Reduce the heat and add the water, sugar and salt.
- Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomato chunks.
- Serve over rice, noodles, potatoes or on toast.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!