FloorsHome

Bug Spray Left Yellow Spots on Hardwood Floor

My daughter used ant spray behind her desk to kills some ants two weeks ago and now her hardwood floor has yellow spots. She tried Bona hardwood cleaner, Dawn dish detergent and hot water, but nothing is working. The yellow just comes back. Any ideas?

It is permanently discolored. Use a furniture crayon in a matching color to cover it up.

It's eaten its way through. Get a matching wood paint for it.

Hardwood floors do not take well to water so always try to use a good wood floor cleaner instead when doing regular cleaning.

• The type of finish on your floors should determine what type of "repair" you will have to do.
  • There are two products that work really well on wood furniture and will work on wood floors also.
  • One product is Old English and it can be bought in several shades/colors so you should be able to match your floor color.
  • Old English is sold at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target etc and also on line but I recommend you look at the store so you can read the label and pick out your color.
  • Old English is very easy to use just follow the directions on the bottle (use sparingly!).
  • The product I like best is called Tibet Almond Stick Scratch Remover and can be bought on Amazon.
  • Ad

• This product is very easy to use (looks colorless) but covers spots of almost any color. I have never used it on a very dark color but I believe it will still work best (no mess/no spilling).
  • I have supplied links to these products so please read before you think about trying this.
  • Be sure to read the customer reviews also.
  • www.amazon.com/.../B0006ZN9OS#customerReviews?tag=thrif06...
  • www.amazon.com/.../B0063KFJHK?tag=thrif06-20

there's a chance the chemical permanently altered the varnish. Not much can be done about that save get a wood marker or revarnish the area ifyou can find what it is

you could try mayonnaise - I did that to resolve some coffee rings on a pretty nice piece of furniture I had - leaving it on for 5 or 10 minutes then rubbing it off. Sometimes before that adding a bit of baking soda + water paste as well.