Building a Chicken Coop

Category Chickens
You have made the decision to raise backyard chickens. One of the first considerations is providing them with a coop. You can buy one or you may wish to build your own. This is a guide about building a chicken coop.

I have had over 10,000 board feet of oak, maple and poplar cut out of downed and fallen trees, why waste good wood. I used some of them to make furniture.

Here is a picture of a chicken coop that I made from some too. I am an author and I used this picture in one of my writings.

By Dr Robert E McGinnis from NC

That is very nice. I like how you used the door as the ramp, good idea!

Super thrifty! Google wood furniture and see if you can make some cool money. Also, I remember a family in Arkansas who sliced small branches into slab on the diagonal, like you do carrots for stir fry. Then, they caught and formaldehyded (if that is a word) ticks and glued them to the center, dipped them in shallac and made earrings and necklaces out of them.

Don't laugh, they saved their home and land after he was hurt but I too might choose something small and pretty. If the smaller branches are usable, I would slice them with a precision tool and either make jewelry or magnets out of them, or sell them to crafters. You can use wood for so many things now. Good job!