Building a Duck Pond

I got lucky and found someone giving away a 300 gal pond. It looks like it is the same plastic as this tank is made out of. It already has a drain hole. I live in Illinois where it gets quite cold. I am wondering if I need to do anything special to be able to keep it going all year. Also, should I put something soft under it, like mulch or sand? Should I put dirt most of the way around it for insulation? I think I'm going to have to get some kind of pump to keep the water moving. I have a garden, so I thought I would use the water from the tank for that in the warmer months

Best Answer

I would use crushed gravel underneath to maintain good drainage. If you use something soft it will wash away and undercut your container.

Best Answer

This may be a bigger project than you are aware of as a pump system can be expensive.

• I would suggest that you pay a visit to Home Depot, Lowe's or a pond supply store and explain what you have and what you want to do with this free pond.
  • Most of these stores have sales people who have some knowledge about installing and caring for a pond.
  • If you go to a local store, they will be familiar with your climate and can tell you how to keep it safe year round.
  • Of course, they will want to sell you their products but no need to buy anything that you do not want.

To keep it from freezing in the winter, your best bet is probably a stock-tank heater from the feed store. You should be able to find one for under $50. If you want aeration and movement, buy a small, cheap fountain pump (if you pay more than $25, you're paying too much), and use these plans to make your own biofilter for about $10 worth of materials.

redforkhippie.wordpress.com/.../

There is a comprehensive article here. https://www.tyr  h-diy-biofilter/