Building a Duck Pond

I got lucky and found someone giving away a 300 gal pond. It looks like it is the same plastic as this tank is made out of. It already has a drain hole. I live in Illinois where it gets quite cold. I am wondering if I need to do anything special to be able to keep it going all year. Also, should I put something soft under it, like mulch or sand? Should I put dirt most of the way around it for insulation? I think I'm going to have to get some kind of pump to keep the water moving. I have a garden, so I thought I would use the water from the tank for that in the warmer months

Best Answer

I would use crushed gravel underneath to maintain good drainage. If you use something soft it will wash away and undercut your container.

Best Answer

This may be a bigger project than you are aware of as a pump system can be expensive.

• I would suggest that you pay a visit to Home Depot, Lowe's or a pond supply store and explain what you have and what you want to do with this free pond.
  • Most of these stores have sales people who have some knowledge about installing and caring for a pond.
  • If you go to a local store, they will be familiar with your climate and can tell you how to keep it safe year round.
  • Ad

• Of course, they will want to sell you their products but no need to buy anything that you do not want.

There is a comprehensive article here. https://www.tyr  h-diy-biofilter/