Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

Are you middle aged and have developed a big waist and stomach, but have a normal bottom and hips? I have started buying maternity pants. They are now made with waistbands (large elastic strip) or a waist that can be tightened to size. A blouse over them and it looks like any other pant. I have been complimented many times now on my new fashionable jeans. They are long and leggy looking. Maternity clothes are obviously designed for the younger set and are trendier looking than the stogey pants I have been buying to get a bigger waist. I now wear a size smaller too! I also have purchased maternity sweaters and blouses that work well if they aren't too full. A good source is Kohl's, Penney's (in a big city) and Target.

By Rae Ann from Templeton, CA

Answers:

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

I tried that and though it fits my waist, I find my hips are not as big as the maternity pants. I do love the maternity tops, though because I am long waisted and everything they make today is too short and when I raise my arms, my belly shows! (01/24/2007)

By fred wendt.

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

I have to agree with this brilliant idea. I'm not middle-aged but I do have a 'maternal middle' due to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). That means I'm apple-shaped as opposed to pear-shaped. I'd be living in caftans if it weren't for maternity jeans with elastic in the waist!

I wear long shirts so no-one ever sees the waistband, and I feel a lot more comfortable than I do in a solid waistband or an ill-fitting pair of trousers. Why make the world think my butt is bigger than it actually is? (01/27/2009)

By Anna