Food & KitchenShopping

Buying Dented Canned Foods

Where can I buy dented tin food for my charity like baked beans, corn, mixed vegetables, Bull brand fish and tomato mix?
Please and thank you.

Major grocers have an entire section of dented canned foods in the back portion of their stores.

I do not know how many people you are feeding or how often you will needing this food so it is difficult to give a good answer.

• I have seen some "dented" can goods or cans with part of label missing on racks in some of our Florida stores but usually only one or two of the same item so that would not make very many portions of each item.
  • If buying from a bent & dent store the price may not be but a little bit cheaper and you have to be caucus with what you purchase.
  • If this is a continuing project then you maybe need to talk to some of the other charities in your area and see who they deal with.
  • Ad

• I think you will generally find there are several stores and restaurants that donate to these on a regular basis.
  • The charities may not give away the names of all of their "secret" supporters but they will probably give you some suggestions.
  • Of course, church food kitchens rely on their members for a good portion of their supplies.
  • If you or one of your "helpers" are members of any local church then this is a good place to start your quest.
  • I have seen several ads on Craigslist, Freecycle and Nextdoor (in their "wanted" listings) asking for help with food for a free feeding program. This can be a continuing ad but you will need proof of what you are doing (like a flyer or bulletin).
  • Nextdoor will be in your (or someone's) neighborhood.
  • nextdoor.com/
  • Some workers ask to place request notices in the smaller shop windows.

My store has it near the front in a shopping cart. You have to dig through, but I have found great deals.

My store has discounted cans toward the back of the store, near the restrooms. It varies depending on location.

If we knew where you were located, we could probably better answer your question--are you in the US, and if so, what state?

What you are looking for is a 'salvage grocery store'. A salvage grocery is a shop that buys overstock/unacceptable goods from retail grocery stores (IE Kroger, Safeway) and sells them at a steep discount. We're lucky in that we have 3 different chains in our area, where they sell dented canned goods, other dry goods close to expiry date, and even produce.

Here's 2 links that may help you find one in your area
www.extremebargains.net/.../
www.thebalanceeveryday.com/salvage-grocery-stores-1388627