Can an Adult Child Collect Back Child Support?

I'm currently 30. My parents divorced in 1991 or 1992 in Illinois where I currently reside. My father was ordered to pay child support and never did. He has since passed away back in 2007. He was married at the time of his passing while living out of state. Having said all this, does a chance exist of me still trying to collect back child support? Is collecting through Social Security even a legit option?

Thanks :)

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Technically your father still owes child support, however, collecting any through SSA will be difficult as you are now an adult and SSA is already trying to collect on many current children's cases. You can contact SSA and make an appointment at a local SSA office to discuss your concerns.

Who are you trying to collect from? Your dad's widow?
The point of child support is to support the child. It is unfortunate that your dad didn't pay that when you were little and could have really used it. But you are an adult now, and child support is not for adults. Besides the fact that your dad is no longer alive. I don't see Social Services garnishing the wages of a dead person.

I'd suggest you drop this. You apparently have some issues involving your dad, but it's time you drop this.

No, no issues with my father. I'm actually involved with collecting child support for my own children which brought to mind my own case with my father and no nothing to do with my fathers wife just trying to get as much info into my question.