Removing Candle Wax from a Dog

Category Grooming
If candle wax has accidentally gotten spilled on your dog's fur, it will take some patience from you and your dog to get it out. This is a guide about candle wax on dog.

My POOR GOLDEN LAB knocked a candle warmer off onto his coat, and now is covered in candle wax! I tried to explain to him it was not his fault, but now he looks kind of weird, AND feels embarrassed. :( any suggestions? I don't think ironing him will work, and I don't want to cut his fur yet. Darn. Hate it when that happens.

Buddy and Diana
SW Idaho

Answers

By Kelly (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use peanut butter or Pam spray. They both get gum out of hair on kids.

By Wagners1988 (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Soften the wax with a blow dryer, then comb it out. Do just a small area at a time as it will cool quickly. You may need a little help if the dog is afraid of the blow drier!

By LMV (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We used olive oil in a spritzer and used a very fine-toothed comb. It worked great! Then we just took a wash cloth with very warm water to get the olive oil residue off. Hope this helps!

Hi,
The best thing to do is take an ice cube and put it on the wax, that way you can break it off of the fur. I'm not sure how much area is involved but wax will break easily if it isn't too thick. Definitely don't use the iron on him. It may take a while but you should be able to break it off the fur. Poor guy.

That's my recommendation anyway. Someone else may have another idea.
Susan from ThriftyFun