Canning Stew in the Oven

My mother and I recently canned a vegetable stew. She swears by the oven canning method and so we did that. We kept everything hot from the stew, to the jars (kept hot in the oven before canning) and then placing them back into the oven at 350 C for another 30 min. My question is, why is this method not recommended even with everything being consistently hot? I would imagine everything would be killed off.

The recommended method for canning vegetables is pressure canning. Oven canning is not recommended. Botulism could develop with your method. Discard this stew for the sake of your health and invest in a pressure canner.

nchfp.uga.edu/.../FAQ_canning.html#7

www.healthycanning.com/.../

Here are two links that talk about why the oven method is not a good idea. The uneven temperatures is the biggest reason...this means that some of the food could be dangerous to consume because it wasn't heated correctly.

Having gotten sick from something canned the right way and still was a fail, I encourage people to can safely, follow recipes exactly and to follow only approved canning methods.

SAFETY FIRST!!! I would not eat anything canned in this method so you may want to discard what was canned this way.

This method is a thing of the past and sometimes we all have to rethink what we believe to be tried and true and perhaps never failed us in the past (?).

It is probably true that your mother has never known of anyone to get sick due to eating food canned by this method but that does not mean it could not happen with what you have just prepared.

Apparently there were cases of food poisoning and this method was deemed the culprit (CDC) so after many trials of this and other methods it was found that canning in the oven was many times not safe and this method should not be used.

Please convince your mother that if you intend to do canning in the future to please purchase proper canning equipment so there will be no danger of botulism (if instructions are followed properly).

I'm sorry if your food has to be discarded but most likely; someone will eat some of it just to prove that it is safe - if that does happen - I hope it is..

Food and Recipes Canning SoupSeptember 10, 2018
🌻
🎂
📓