Canning TipsCanning

Canning Tomato Sauce

I want to/need to can tomato sauce and have never done it before.

1) Is it safe? Is there any way I can mess it up and give myself/family botulism or something?

2) Can I use regular glass jars? Why or why not? I don't really have a lot of canning jars per se, but a vast collection of random glass jars from pickles and such that I save, but everyone I know talks about using canning jars.

any other ideas appreciated!

Best Answer

You need to use canning lids and rings, so the jars you use must fit them. I would invest in canning jars. They are thick glass and will be less likely to break. You can use any deep pot for water bath canning. If you decide to can other types of foods, like meat, you will have to buy a pressure canner. Get a copy of the ball canning book.