Car Overheating and Losing Water

My '98 Buick Century started overheating one day. It was low on water, so we filled it up only to have it overheat again. We replaced the water pump and put a new thermostat in. It is still overheating and losing water, but the water is not going on the ground and there is none in the oil. We're assuming it's not going into the engine block. Can anyone tell me what we should do next? I'd really appreciate any kind of hints to help out. Thank you!

By Jackolyn Smith from GA

Check into the heater core, too. I've had Buicks, and they're famous for overheating. Twice the problem was in the heater core, and it leaked water and antifreeze onto the floor on the front passenger side inside the car - the carpet was wet and I could smell the antifreeze when I drove. The first time it happened, I couldn't understand what it was, but the mechanics knew right away!

By the way, you shouldn't just put water into your radiator; the mechanics also advised me that it should be 50-50 water and antifreeze, because the antifreeze has ingredients in it that protect the system against rust, and also helps prevent overheating, somewhat. Cars need antifreeze, even where the temperature doesn't get to freezing or below.