Caramelized Onion and Pepper Steak Sandwich
This delicious caramelized onion and pepper steak sandwich recipe can serve 4 for about $10. They are perfect for a fancy lunch or a fairly quick dinner.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Lately, I've been having guests over in the afternoons so I've been trying to make fancier lunch fare. I made these steak sandwiches to try and impress, and they did just the job. I was able to make 4 of these filling and super yummy steak sandwiches for about $10 total. Win-win!
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 23 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 steak (about .75 lb)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 rosemary stems
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large French bread loaf
- 4 slices cheese
- condiments of your choice (mustard, mayonnaise, horseradish)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sliced pepperoncini peppers
- Bring steak to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil to a pan over high heat and add the steak to the pan. Cook for a few minutes.
- Flip steak over and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and garlic to pan.
- Tuck garlic slices under steak and finish cooking to desired doneness.
- Add rosemary stems to pan, allow to sizzle for about 15 seconds, then shut off heat. Transfer steak, garlic, and rosemary stems to a plate and loosely tent with foil. Leave juices in pan.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the pan with the juices. Add onions and peppers to pan and cook on high heat until edges are browned, stirring occasionally, then reduce to medium low heat. While these are caramelizing, we will work on the bread.
- Cut French loaf into quarters, then slice in half horizontally. Add a slice of cheese on half the slices. You can smear some butter on the other 4 if you like.
- Place under broiler for a couple minutes for cheese to melt and bread to slightly toast. I used my toaster oven. Add mustard, mayonnaise, and horseradish to non-cheese side.
- After about 10-15 minutes, add 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar to caramelized onions and peppers. Stir well. Shut off heat.
- Slice steak into thin strips. Place on cheesy side of bread, top with onions and peppers, then add pepperoncini. Pop the other slice of bread on top, then decorate with fried rosemary stem.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.