Caring for Contact Lenses

Contact lenses are an option for many people over eyeglasses. They do require some special care and proper cleaning. This is a guide about caring for contact lenses.

Contact lenses do not come cheap. It can be easy to mishandle them and let them go to waste. Here are some tips from my optometrist and myself on how to get the most out of your lenses.

1. After each use, rinse your contact lens case with fresh solution, not water, then air dry. Keep the case clean and replace it at least every three months. Lens cases can be a source of contamination and infection.

2. Before handling contacts from the case or removing from eyes, wash your hands with soap and water, rinse and dry with a lint-free towel.

3. When removing contacts from eyes to put back into the case, make sure the contacts are not inside out (you can tell if they make a saucer-lipped shape). Putting them on in a rush and realizing they're inside out is no fun, and may cause stress to the eye.

4. Do not re-use old solution or "top off" the solution in your lens case.

5. Use a solution like Clear Care weekly. It uses bubbling power of hydrogen peroxide to fully refresh your lenses by removing lens deposition and debris.

6. Use contact-friendly lubricating eye drops. Even if you don't feel your eyes are dry, having a foreign object like a contact lens on it can irritate you. They also help remove debris that may cause some discomfort.

7. Set alarms or mark calendars for expiration dates of your open lenses. I wear monthlies so I set my iPhone to beep on the 30th day for lens disposal.

Recently I had to have my contacts resurfaced, due to damage. The simple act of dropping one in the bathroom sink can really cause problems. To keep this from happening again, I now place a foam shelf liner cut larger than my sink size over the sink. Now, if I happen to drop one inserting it or taking it out, I know it won't be damaged. When not in use, I roll up and keep handy in the bathroom.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I love the all in one solutions that clean and remove deposits on my contact lenses, but boy are they expensive! To save money I use plain saline solution to rinse my lenses after storing in the all-in-one solution.

This guide is about cleaning contact lenses. Your vision and comfort is improved with clean contacts.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Before cleaning your contact lenses, close the drain in your bathroom sink or cover it with a washcloth. This will keep the lenses from going down the drain if you drop them.

Tips for saving money on cleaning solutions for contact lenses. Post your ideas.

Answers

Best Answer

Walmart seems to be one of the cheapest for multipurpose solution. I use their store brand multipurpose solution for rinsing and cleaning. The saline stings my eyes. I have never had any problems with the generic brands and I'm a contact wearer for almost 20 years.

Best Answer

I went to my optometrist years ago and decided to be honest. I told him I was only using saline because of the cost.

He picked up a bottle of the solution I should have been using and walked me over to the Hydrogen Peroxide. (Yes the brown bottles for 50 cents!) They have the same ingredients! The only difference is the label, check it out.

This system works well with the Aosept cups that have the hole in the top. It is very important to let the air out overnight. You will see and here the bubbles. The air will convert the Peroxide (H2O2) into water (H2O)

Remember to rinse with saline. This was just before the multi-purpose solutions came out so it was always two steps.

I used this for many years with no ill effects before I went back to glasses.