Caring for a Dog with a Heart Murmur

Category Health

Having a dog with a heart murmur is not necessarily an issue. Many of these pets live a normal life not even requiring medication. A murmur may have to be considered if your dog were to need surgery. A vet can provide the best advice in that instance.

I took my dog to the vet twice actually. The first time was because his scrotum became swollen. They gave him antibiotics and pain medication. Three days later I notice a bump and like two lumps so I took him again and the vet said it could be cancer maybe. He even had a blood test done, but every thing came back good! They are not giving me answers on what this could be. I'm worried! But the only option was to get him neutered! He's 12 years old and a Chihuahua. He also has a heart murmur. but they told me that he needs to get it done. If they do it he might not make it, but they said a surgical place can do it and they have different anesthesia for dogs with heart murmurs is that true?

Answers

Best Answer

If it was me, I would get a second opinion on the entire matter.

It is possible each vet has his or her own protocol for how they will or will not operate when there are co-existing conditions. I would not take any medical advice from people on social media--just advice from accredited vets on why they will or will not do it. This is just me!

We are fortunate here to have a very large veterinary hospital in my town. Perhaps call them and ask their guidance. PVSEC 412) 366-3400--maybe they can refer you to the facility closest to you.

Post back with an update. Prayers for healing.

Best Answer

I would not have it done.He's 12yrs old if he is not in any pain or distress I would leave it alone.

We recently purchased a Shitzu puppy the first visit to the Vet. we were told he had a heart murmur. We have become so attached to him it would break our hearts to return him. He is 8 weeks, old what is his life expectancy?

Paul from Burkburnett, TX

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

No way to know for sure, but do not give him back: enjoy being his people. I have a 16 year old toy poodle with a life long heart murmur which has progressed in the last 3 years to needing medication, and he is still doing fine as long as he gets his meds. Consult with your vet about yours for a prognosis. Was told when ours was 9 that he would eventually need meds.

Best Answer

Mt Dalmatian had a heart murmur and the Vet always told us not to worry about it. She died at 13, old for a Dal, of other causes.
Maybe you could take your dog to a heart specialist at a Vet teaching hospital like Cornell. They have excellent specialists and don't cost much more than a regular vet.

Pets Dogs HealthMay 21, 2020
🎆
👔
🌻
🐛
😷
😎

Generated 2020-05-24 11:23:11 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️