Cat Pulling Hair Out

Why would a cat pull its hair out by the roots, under the chin and around the neck?

By Helms from Concord, CA

Answers:

Cat Pulling Hair Out

It might have an allergy. My cat kept losing hair in a chunk under her chin just above her neck and the vet didn't have a clue because she was quite healthy. Then I read about some cats who get that from drinking or eating from plastic bowls. So I changed her bowls to stoneware. Her hair grew back quickly within weeks and no more bald patches since. (09/18/2009)

By racers7

Cat Pulling Hair Out

It is common for cats who are suffering from stress to pull their fur out like this. Your cat could be stressed for a number of reasons, pining for someone/thing, new surroundings, new pets, new people, different regime, or different food; it could be anything. I went away on an eight week holiday (my dad looked after my cat at my home) and when I came back, he was bald from the waist down. Once I was home again, it all grew back. (09/21/2009)

By merry50

Cat Pulling Hair Out

Please take your fur baby to the vet immediately. This happened to my baby boy and he had cancer of the mouth. Pulling hair out was one of the symptoms. We lost our "Woobie" in April of this year and we miss him terribly. Good luck. (09/21/2009)

By K9cats