Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

My new cat wet all over some clothes waiting to be put in the washing machine. What is the best way to take out cat urine odor from clothing?

Donna from Middletown, NY

Answers:

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Washing with regular detergent will likely take care of it, but adding a little oxyclean will help. And use water as hot as appropriate for the fabric. (03/10/2009)

By suescats

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

I put a cup of vinegar in the rinse water. (03/11/2009)

By catastrofy

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

I have a cat with what the vet calls a behavioral problem because she urinates on any clothing item dropped on floor. I have tried all the above methods and still found when the clothes are re-wet there is still some odor.

I have found one thing that takes it out. Arm and Hammer washing soda. This is different than the baking soda and is found in the detergent/cleaners aisle of the store. But I also found that I had to use one third to half a box (if a blanket) added to a regular size load. Hot or very warm water works best. But if it is cold water item, dissolve washing soda in some warm water first then add cold to it. Then I re-wash it with just detergent. This works the best. (03/11/2009)

By Aurelia

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Walmart has a Walmart brand pet stain and odor remover that I have used for several years. I use it in my carpet cleaner, spray it on the area where the odor is and I put it in my washing machine when I wash the clothing item. It works great. You can also use peroxide with it. Give it a try, it's cheap. (03/11/2009)

By billjen1982

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Bleach removes the odor, permanently. However, if it's colored clothing that your cat nailed, can't recommend it. Good luck. (03/11/2009)

By leopardstripes