Cleaning ChapStick Stains on Clothing

Sometimes we accidentally get ChapStick stains on our clothing. This is a page about cleaning ChapStick stains on clothing.

I washed and dried my scrubs with Chapstick in my pocket. What can I do to get this out now? I already tried scrubbing them with stain remover and re-washing them, it didn't work at all. The scrubs are dark grey in color.

Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

I think this will require some type of solvent. If you have a friend with dry cleaners' experience they might help you experiment safely. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have had good luck with a combination of boiling water and dish soap. I apply the dish soap directly to the stain and let it sit awhile then pour boiling water through until the soap is gone. It might take doing it more than once to get the stain entirely out.

Don't use a dish soap with ammonia in it though, it might bleach out the clothing, which could be worse than the stain.

Best Answer

Try baking soda and dawn mixed together like a paste . Spray some vinegar on it . Should come right out .

Best Answer

Dust with baking soda or cornstarch overnight (use fingers to lightly rub into stains). Next day use dawn simple blue and rub it gently into stains and sit for several hours. Wash in cold water, libe dry. Repeat until stains are gone. Sometimes takes 3 treatments.

I washed clothes and I found that I accidentally left ChapStick in a pocket. The cap came off and it got on all of the clothes. How do I get this ChapStick stain off of the clothes?

By JP

Answers

Best Answer

This is going to sound crazy - but we have scrubbed it out with shampoo - works every time!

My daughter has a polyester blend hoodie that she washed with a Chapstick in it. Now the white part of the hoodie has pink stains from the Chapstick. I washed it with Spray and Wash and it didn't come out. Any suggestions?

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Just put baking soda onto a toothbrush and scrub the stain until it gets lighter and lighter until you don't see the stain anymore.

My granddaughter smeared red ChapStick over a large area of my ivory colored bed quilt. How do I remove this without damaging my quilt?

By Pat from Baltimore, MD

Answers

Best Answer

OMG! I knew I was keeping an old email (2004) for a reason! My younger son washed and dried a load of his laundry with his chapstick in a pocket, so I

contacted their company and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chap Stick® Lip Moisturizer. We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate staining incident with this product. Listed below are some suggestions regarding stain removal. A local commercial dry cleaner may be able to offer you additional suggestions based on the fabric type of the garments. Before using any of the following suggestions, we recommend testing the fabric in a small, inconspicuous area.

We have found that Chap Stick stains can usually be removed by washing the individual spots using a standard degreasing agent such as waterless hand cleaner, toluene (found at hardware stores), or lighter fluid. When doing this, place a paper towel or an absorbent material underneath to absorb the stain and prevent it from bleeding to the other side of the garment. After doing this, spray with Wisk and rub or dab the stain continuously for five minutes and then rinse with hot water. Repeat if necessary.

Another alternative would be to use white blotting paper and press with a warm iron, changing the paper as needed. Pour hot water through the stain, allow to dry and then flush with Afta or Carbona Cleaning Fluid. These items should be available at your local grocery or retail stores. We hope these suggestions will be useful to you. Good luck to you on this!

My daughter has a shirt that went through the dryer with chapstick in the pocket. It got all over the shirt. Does anyone have an idea of how to get the chapstick out of the shirt?

By Sharon

Answers

Best Answer

My son forgets to take his out of his pants pockets... nasty, oily, greasy stains! I use the OxiClean gel that comes in a tube-like thing. When I find a load of laundry that "got oiled" I run the whole load again with oxi clean in the washer with detergent, and pre-treat as many of the spots with the oxi0clean gel stuff as possible.

I do NOT put the second-washed load in the dryer until I've checked the oiled spots to see if they came out. If they came out, into the dryer that item goes. If it did not come out, it gets hung to dry and re-treated, ad nauseum. I am getting better at checking all the pockets, but I still miss one now and then.

Recently I washed a load of laundry that apparently had ChapStick, or something waxy in it. It got spotted on maybe four or five of my favorite shirts. I took each shirt and scrubbed (and I mean scrubbed) each little spot individually with water and Dawn (which should be really good for greasy things) and then threw them in the washer and dryer.

When I pulled it out, it hadn't even touched the stains. They look exactly as they did before I scrubbed with Dawn. I'm baffled by this because I don't know what else could be as good as Dawn for getting our greasy stains. Any suggestions? Did I do something wrong?

Answers

Yikes....the dryer may have set the stains.

Dawn is my go to and usually gets everything out (I spill a lot).

My desperate go to is (if these are color shirts--test it on an inside seam to make sure it doesn't totally bleach out the color), use a home made oxi clean mix:

1 cup water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda

Mix well. Take a white rag and dab it onto the stains --put something behind the stain so it doesn't bleed through to the back of the shirt.

Let it sit for an hour or so, then wash in cold. Do not dry again in the dryer. You may need to repeat a few times to get it all out.

I hope this works.

I would use Goo-Gone.

How do you remove a Chapstick stain on clothes?

By nashelle from Kansas City, MO

Answers

Best Answer

ChapStik is essentially oil and wax. Put layers of newsprint or brown paper bags on the front and back of the stain and use a warm iron to heat this moving the top paper around a bit to soak up as much of the chapstik as you can.

Then treat what's left of the stain as if it were any other oil stain:
spray n wash, dish washing liquid (start around the outside of the stain and work your way into the middle with an old tooth brush or your finger nail; be gentle) or whatever method you prefer. Wash as usual. This should do it. You might have to treat the stain a couple times.

How do I remove set in, melted Chapstick stains from clothing? The Chapstick ingredients include beeswax and shea butter.

Answers

If it's not dry clean only use a few drops of regular Dawn dish soap. Not the color or x power ones, just original blue. Gently massage it in to nthe spot, but don't let the stained side touch the other side. Let it sit for about an hour and and rinse. It may take a few times. Use cold water or tap temp. Not hot and don't use the dryer until the stain is gone.

Removing Chapstick

Step 1
Scrape off as much as possible.

Step 2
Treat the stains with a heavy duty detergent like Persil.

Step 3
Wash and check to make sure stain is out.

Step 4
Check the dryer and remove any chapstick from there.

Goo off makes a product for clothing and for different types of stains may try that or try windex spray it on let it soak for couple minutes rinse and wash

if none of the above work, try acetone IE nail polish remover which is designed to cut through greasy residue type things. I would also try paint thinner but only after sampling on fabric

My granddaughter left her bright pink chapstick in her pants pocket. (Colored clothes load). It wasn't discovered until the load had already been dried (in the dryer). Is there any way to get pink chapstick stains out of colored clothes that have already been through the dryer?

Sure would appreciate any help you can offer!

Carol from Chicago, IL

Answers:
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 05/29/2006
I'd try Goo Gone. I used it to remove vegetable oil mixed with oil paint (don't ask!) off shirts that had been washed and dried multiple times.
By (Guest Post)
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 06/01/2006
My old standby is good old Dawn dishwashing liquid--not any of their fancy mutations, just the original.
Good luck--will you let us know what works?
By Becky
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 06/03/2006
I have had good luck with the Spray N Wash brand "Stain Stick." Put in on and let it sit several DAYS and wash as usual. It is very good at taking out greasy spots set in by a dryer.
By Jill from Iowa (Guest Post)

A ChapStick went through the washer and dryer and made oil marks on spandex material clothes. How do I remove this? Do I send the clothes through the washer and dryer several times?

By kfoster1 from Cleveland, OH

Answers:

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I'd try Goo Gone. I used it to remove vegetable oil mixed with oil paint (don't ask) off shirts that had been washed and dried multiple times. (05/29/2006)

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Multiple times has this happened to me. Even baby food like carrots or darker baby food. The answer really is:
"The Stain Stick" it helps a lot. (07/04/2008)

By _ali_49

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Butane or lighter fluid that you use in lighters did the trick for me. Basically I took the butane and spot treated each article of clothing using two paper towels, one on each side of the garment, to absorb the excess fluid. I then threw it in the wash right away. You can purchase a bottle of butane at any major grocery store. d (10/22/2008)

By Dave

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I scrubbed the stains with Dawn liquid soap and then with a stain stick, washed soon after and it worked. It came out of denim, cotton, and white scrub tops. (01/09/2009)

By Vicki from St Louis

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I had the same thing happen to me too many times to count. Something I have found to work is Pine-Sol, like you clean with. I had tried everything one day and read the label on the Pine-sol and believe it or not it's for laundry as well. I poured full strength on the stain and let it sit an hour or so and it took it right out. (02/11/2009)

By Holly M.

ChapStick Stains on Clothing

I'd use WD-40 first, applying gently and rubbing with old toothbrush, then applying 20 Mule team Borax to the spot overnight, next day washing in warm water only after brushing the dried borax off. I believe you will have the best luck with this method. God bless and help you. (01/16/2010)

By lynda

I accidentally washed and dried a chap stick tube with my colored clothes. Now my really nice shirts have spots everywhere. How can I get rid of these grease stains?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 20, 2012
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/ChapStick-Stains-on-Clothing-2.html