Cheesy Omelette Taco
Use a waffle maker to create this taco like omelette. If you add cheese to the maker first you can even enjoy a nice crunch without the tortilla. Add your favorite fillings, fold, and enjoy.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a fun new way to have a low-carb breakfast. It's essentially an omelette made in a waffle maker, folded in half and filled to make a big taco. When you add cheese to the hot waffle maker before you add the eggs, it creates a fantastic crunch without the use of tortillas or any other type of grain. You'll get lots of oohs and aahs for this one, trust me!
If you don't have a waffle maker, you can make this in a nonstick skillet using the same directions. Simply cover the skillet with a lid when you would normally press down the lid of the waffle maker. Have fun!
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 1 large taco, good for 2 servings
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or substitute with 1 more egg)
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices cheese (I used Provolone)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- taco fillings like avocado, meats, salsa
- Lightly grease and heat up your waffle maker set to high. Whisk the egg and egg whites together. Add a bit of salt and pepper. You could add some taco seasoning here, if you like. Set aside.
- Place your cheese slices and grated cheese so it covers the waffle maker as much as possible. Allow it to cook for a couple minutes until it's all bubbly.
- Sprinkle on chopped peppers and onions.
- Slowly and carefully pour on the egg mixture, making sure it doesn't spill off the sides of the waffle maker. Press the lid down on and lock into place. Cook for a few minutes. It's ready when the bottom is crispy and the top is puffy and golden.
- Add your fillings, fold into taco shape, and serve.