Chicken and Mushroom Dinner Recipes

Category Main Dishes
A delicious main dish of chicken and mushrooms with rosemary and/or thyme. Can be varied with added vegetables and served over rice or pasta. This page contains chicken and mushroom dinners.

I'm usually a pretty sorry cook, but tonight I was inspired, and I have made something we are both truly enthusiastic about.

This recipe can be varied with other meats, mushrooms and vegetables, even other cheeses and sauces/spices, but this is what I used tonight, and it tasted great! I'm going to try it again and tweek it to taste even better.

Ingredients

Directions

Gently saute' mushrooms in butter, water and chicken skin in a lidded pan on the stove. Steam vegetables in a lidded pot in olive oil. When mushrooms are half cooked, turn over and saute' the other side. When the whole mushroom is nearly done, place top down if not already in that position and spread sauce over mushroom gills and stem. Layer chicken on top of sauce.

Layer vegetables on top of chicken (or the other way around, it doesn't matter which order). Turn off the stove and lay a slice of cheese on top and let it melt with the pan lid on

Spatula onto a plate, add a side of extra veggies and enjoy!

A variation I want to try is to slice everything up and cook it together. It might be even better.

This is a fairly low salt meal. Both of us have to eat as little salt as possible, so I'm forced to find new recipes. The cheese is 80mg per 1/4 inch, I cut it really thin so it's much less sodium. There was about an ounce or two of chicken, no salt in much of anything else except for the sauce, which has 180 mgs of sodium per 2 Tbs, and I used just a tsp. so this meal I'd estimate to be around 100 mgs of sodium. not bad for a single meal, though it was a small one. We used the smaller portabellos. which also makes it great for dieting.

Source: Threw this one together with what was available at home. Might be a comparable one at a restaurant, we don't eat out that much.

By Cornelia from Oregon

Ingredients

• 4 skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. olive, canola or soybean oil
  • Ad

• 1 jar or can(4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms
  • Chopped fresh thyme, if desired

Directions

Cut chicken in small pieces. In shallow dish, mix flour, salt and pepper.

Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Coat both sides of chicken with flour mixture. Cook chicken in hot oil 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken to serving plate.

Put chicken in baking dish pour mushrooms over chicken,bake covered in 400 degree F oven 30 minutes or until slightly thickened and the chicken is tender. Spoon sauce over chicken.may need to add 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Sprinkle with thyme, if desired.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL