Child Support and SSI

I have two daughters with my husband. We broke up and he went after my children and won. I was not receiving SSI at the time. He left NY where we are from and moved down south. I haven't seen them for two years after he left New York to move to South Carolina. I moved down to South Carolina to be with him and my kids, but things aren't working between us. I'm receiving a SSI check and he works. Can he collect child support from me, since I am disabled? And if so, how can he get financial help when he has got a job?


By M.F

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 4, 20130 found this helpful

Yes he can take money from your SS check if he has custody. As for the extra help that is normally based on income and family size.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 5, 20130 found this helpful

He can't get anything from your SSI check but he can draw money from Social Security because your disabled. He needs to be aware though they watch things very closely. He needs to be careful of how he spends that money and to document everything; otherwise they will come after him. I know. I was in the same boat. My ex collected SS for my son and was taken to court when he was caught spending the money on himself instead of our son.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 6, 20130 found this helpful

You are responsible for child support. If you went on disability after child support was initially granted to your husband you are still responsible for child support BUT.... did you tell Social Security you were paying child support?


When I went on disability I asked Social Security about it and they started sending 2/3rds of my child support responsibility to my spouse. I was only responsible for a 3rd at that point. And that 2/3rds was not out of my disability pay, it was above and beyond. You need to talk to Social Security about what help might be available.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 11, 20130 found this helpful

I don't think your husband can collect from your SSI as that is a payment for someone who doesn't have the work credits to qualify for Social Security disability payments. However, if you're living with him and your children, I believe you could be in trouble and have to pay back some of your SSI as it is based on income need.


I'm not sure if your children could collect payments, but I believe they can until they are out of high school.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 19, 20150 found this helpful

Yes he can get support from you your girls can get up to Half of it now each state work some what.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportMay 2, 2013
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2020-01-12 04:20:58 in 1 secs. ⛅️️

Loading Something Awesome!