Child Support and Social Security Disability?

My ex-husband was just approved for disability (SSI) and is receiving one check for himself and one check for our daughter. Should I (she) get this check in lieu of child support? (or in addition to?) He has moved two states away and doesn't plan to see her much aside from a few weeks in the summer time, so I am not sure why he should be getting a check made out to her. Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks!


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Bronze Answer Medal for All Time! 220 Answers
June 3, 20160 found this helpful

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your questions. You can make an appointment at your local SSA office to address your questions.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks
June 4, 20161 found this helpful

You should get the check for your child. He may have to pay back money. Call your SS office or go on line and see if they have an on line form to fill out.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
February 24, 20170 found this helpful

Be very careful when requesting change to become representative payee! During divorce my military spouse received disability along w a check for each of our 3 kids under my care as custodial guardian sharing joint custody.


Visit to SS office revealed benefits were & currently being paid to the disabled...he promptly had me changed to their rep. Payee.
4 short months later, SS notified me $14,000 was overpaid & repayment was due. (Not to mention taxation for this money they never received)

Simple misunderstanding...not even! I am going thru hell, applications, back up bills, statements, records & countless days in SS office with clerks trying to resolve his MESS.
Honestly, .wish the kids wouldn't have qualified for payments.
Know before you go, ask ask ask questions before you decide.
Miserable in Texas

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 3, 20160 found this helpful

I'm sure I'm not the only one that had experienced this issue; I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar issue and/or the knowledge of this as a 'general question'. Thanks

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
June 4, 20161 found this helpful

You should go to your SS office ASAP as the person taking care of the child is the one that gets the check.
I do not know how long this has been going on but you may or may not be able to get some back payments.


I know this has happened as the money was withheld for the "incorrect" parent until the mistake was corrected - but don't count on that.
The person receiving the check is suppose to supply SS with an annual report on how the money was spent. Your ex may or may not have been doing this - but you could ask.
You will need everybody's SS number (yours, your daughters, your ex's) and also may need your divorce decree showing how much child support he is suppose to be paying.

The SS office should be able to help you and maybe combine the support and the amount from the benefit if he is or has been paying.
No cases are the same so no one can actually help you very much - go to the SS office and get correct answers.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
August 16, 20170 found this helpful

I also went through the same situation several years back. My ex husband was getting my minor sons check and my son was living with me. Long story short, S.S. started sending me my sons check and my ex had to pay back the money to S.S.


with interest and that money was also sent to me for our son, the check always follows the child, no matter who has him.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 10, 20161 found this helpful

He's not allowed to get the check for her because she does not live with him, she lives with you and because he is receiving the check he can get in big trouble.. that money will go back to you and he would have to pay it all back your daughter should be receiving that check.. my daughter receives a check because her dad is on SSI as well she never sees her dad never she's actually not allowed to buy a court order that I receive a check for her from Social Security you have to go to the Social Security office and file paperwork stating that you received it and she's also receiving money for her and she's not with him it doesn't matter if she's with him sometimes or not he's still not allowed to have that money because she's living with you most of the time

Reply Was this helpful? 1

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJune 3, 2016
Father's Day Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-08 19:24:00 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.