Social Security and Back Child Support?

Am I entitled to my ex-husband's Social Security for back child support? It's about $45,000. He recently passed away.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 433 Posts
October 11, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

SSI and child support.

Step 1
You can file a claim in probate court against his estate for back child support.

Step 2
Minor child should receive death benefits,you must petition the social security in order to receive these benefits.

Step 3
Back child support can not be taken from supplemental security income.

Step 4
It can be taken from other SSI income.

Step 5
Here is a link that will help


Step 6
Contact your SSI office in your area.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
October 5, 20170 found this helpful

This is a question for Social Security. Call to make an appointment. Bring your child's birth certificate and your marriage and divorce papers.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
October 6, 20170 found this helpful

Every case can be a bit different depending on the logistics. I'd call them at 1 (800) 772-1213, and as soon as possible.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
October 6, 20170 found this helpful

Social Security has many rules and the only way to know an answer to your question is to go to their office and present your case.

  • Some rules that applied years ago have been changed so it would be best if you call the 800 number and make an appointment as this will save you some waiting time.
  • Advertisement

  • Take with you whatever papers you have available showing the support payment arrears, as well as Social Security numbers for everyone involved - including the grown children.
  • You will have an official answer so you can put it aside - whether the answer is yes or no - and move on with your life.
  • You may be entitled to draw from his account when you reach retirement age so that may turn out to be a good thing.
  • Ask questions - they can give you the answers.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportOctober 5, 2017
Father's Day Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-09 10:27:47 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.