Chili Fish Cakes
September 9, 2020
Everybody loves spicy in the house. We also love that street food style cooking with sweet savory gravy like sauce. The twist is, I put the spicy flavor into the fish cake and not in the sauce.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fish flakes
- spring onions
- 4-6 red hot chilies
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 red onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp corn startch
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- Chop garlic, onions and chilies finely.
- Place fish flakes in a blender along with red onion and garlic.
- Add the egg, salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Spin blender in full speed until mixture becomes liquid.
- Transfer in a mixing bowl, then add chopped spring onion and red chilies. Mix to combine.
- Add flour and mix well until evenly combined. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Place mixture in a piping bag.
- Pipe small balls / rolls of mixture into boiling water (3.5 cups) and cook until it starts to float.
- Remove from pan and drain.
- Deep fry fish cakes with medium to low heat to avoid over cooking.
- Prick each cake with a skewer or fork so it absorbs the heat, the inside cooks and it starts to expand. Fry until light brown. Remove excess oil.
- For the sauce, heat up a mixture of mayonnaise, water, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, corn starch and grated garlic.
- Stir constantly and allow to simmer until sauce is reduced and thick.
- Dip you fish cakes into sauce and have fun!