Green Chili Chicken Chili Recipe
Bell peppers, onions, green chilies, salsa verde, chicken, and white pinto beans combine with spices to create this delicious chicken chili dish. Mix in some sour cream or plain yogurt before serving and sit down for a hearty meal. This page contains a green chili chicken chili recipe.
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 190 Posts
December 16, 2014
We recently had a party for my grandson's first birthday combined with a family get together. The main dishes were vegetarian chili, chicken chili, and seasoned beef for burritos. I made the chicken chili, combining a couple of recipes I found on the internet. This is the result. Hope you enjoy it, we sure did.
Total Time: 30 minutes prep time and 1 - 2 hours cooking time.
Yield: 10 - 12 servings
Source: Based on recipes from Taste of Home and Betty Crocker sites.
- 1 - 2 Tbsp vegetable oil of frying vegetables and chicken
- 2.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into .5 to 1 inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 2 4 ounce cans of diced green chilies
- 32 oz salsa verde
- 3 cans cannellini (white kidney) beans
- 1/4 tsp dry minced garlic
- 3/4 Tbsp (scant) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt, optional
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, optional
- Cut chicken breasts into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes.
- Chop onions and bell peppers. If you use fresh garlic, mince.
- Add vegetable oil to pan, add chopped onion, bell peppers, and garlic (if using fresh).
- Cook onions and peppers until onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- Add chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add salt, garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and coriander. Stir to blend.
- Add the two cans of diced green chiles, undrained.
- Pour in 32-36 ounces of salsa verde.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 - 2 hours.
- Add 3 cans of beans and heat thoroughly.
- At this time you may also add the sour cream or yogurt to the chili, or serve it on the side along with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.