Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake from Cake Mix
Ever craved and wanted to recreate those fragrant, yellow sponge cakes available for Dim Sum? This recipe uses a boxed cake mix and nearly resembles the texture! Best enjoyed within 1 to 2 days or it may dry out.
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Yield: 1 8 or 9 inch cake
- 1 box lemon or white cake mix (dry - not prepared)
- 200 g glutinous rice flour
- ingredients listed on cake mix.
- 1 additional egg
- Line a bamboo steamer basket (or regular 8" or 9" round cake pan) with parchment paper. Prepare a pot or pan of water with a steaming rack. Turn the heat to high and allow to water to come to a boil before beginning recipe.
- Stir together the glutinous rice flour with the dry cake mix to combine.
- Add the eggs as instructed on the box, along with the additional one.
- Gradually add in the water and oil as instructed on the box, and whisk to combine all ingredients until the batter is mostly smooth and there are no large lumps.
- Pour the batter in the pan or bamboo steamer and tap it on the table once or twice to remove large air bubbles. Place it carefully over the (already boiling) water and steam for about 20 to 25 mins, until the top is slightly cracked and looks fluffy (slightly overcooked is better than undercooked). Check doneness with a toothpick as you would a baked cake.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!