This is from the www.recipezaar.com site.
If you go there type in eggless Sponge Cake
Easy Eggless Sponge Cake
* 200 g sweetened condensed milk
* 140 g self-rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 60 ml melted butter or margarine
* 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
* 75 ml water
Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence, and water and beat well.
Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 6 inch diameter round tin.
Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute.
Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
Cool the the cake on a wire rack.
Eggless Sponge Cake
225g/8oz Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
2 teasp Baking Powder
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
6 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
4 tbsp Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and grease two 20cm/8 inch tins and line them with baking parchment. Set aside.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stirring in any remaining bran from the sieve then stir in the caster sugar.
3. Add the oil, water and vanilla extract and mix well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown or until the centre of the sponge springs back when lightly touched.
5. Allow the sponges to cool before turning out and transferring to a wire rack.
6. To serve, remove the parchment from the sponges then place one of the sponges onto a serving plate, spread with the jam, then put the other sponge on top to sandwich it. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
I believe the writer was asking for recipes for spongecakes using no oil or eggs...not advice about following a cake box`s directions. The one recipe that was sent in sounds delicious. I must try it. M.