Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I would like to know a recipe for baking a simple sponge cake without having to use eggs. Thanks.
Morgin from Glasgow
This is from the www.recipezaar.com site.
If you go there type in eggless Sponge Cake
Easy Eggless Sponge Cake
* 200 g sweetened condensed milk
* 140 g self-rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 60 ml melted butter or margarine
* 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
* 75 ml water
Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence, and water and beat well.
Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 6 inch diameter round tin.
Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute.
Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
Eggless Sponge Cake
225g/8oz Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
2 teasp Baking Powder
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
6 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
4 tbsp Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and grease two 20cm/8 inch tins and line them with baking parchment. Set aside.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stirring in any remaining bran from the sieve then stir in the caster sugar.
3. Add the oil, water and vanilla extract and mix well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown or until the centre of the sponge springs back when lightly touched.
5. Allow the sponges to cool before turning out and transferring to a wire rack.
6. To serve, remove the parchment from the sponges then place one of the sponges onto a serving plate, spread with the jam, then put the other sponge on top to sandwich it. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
I believe the writer was asking for recipes for spongecakes using no oil or eggs...not advice about following a cake box`s directions. The one recipe that was sent in sounds delicious. I must try it. M.