Chirping Smoke Detector System

My smoke alarm beeps every couple of minutes. I've mentioned to my husband it's the battery, it needs to be switched! He argues with me, and says, "that's not the problem."

By Cely from Merced, CA

Answers:

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Chirping every 60 seconds or so means that it needs a new battery. It says so in the manual. Show it to him, and if he still won't listen, change it yourself. (11/15/2010)

By WildIrish

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Yep!
Dearest Hubby loses this one. When they chirp like that the battery power is low. (11/15/2010)

By slee15

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Why don't one of you change the battery and see what happens? If it stops beeping, you were right. If it doesn't, he was right (and needs to figure out what the problem is). (11/15/2010)

By mrs.story

Chirping Smoke Detector System

I have to agree with the thriftyfun family. Mine was chirping and a new battery fixed it. (11/15/2010)

By keeper60

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Put in fresh batteries and rub the old ones in his face, lol. (11/15/2010)

By Lsdy Harper

Chirping Smoke Detector System

To keep the peace, change the battery while he is out and don't say anything unless he asks, then just state. I changed the battery. Don't rub it in his face! (11/16/2010)

By catastrofy

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Fireman told me if it has a fresh battery and chirps, it needs vacuumed. It may not look dirty but often does need cleaned. (11/16/2010)

By muttmom

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Ginnywest is right! If you have the kind of detector that is wired in, hold the test button down for several seconds. Thank you so much I was ready to take a hammer to the thing! (11/30/2010)

By Sam12123

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Our culprit was actually the nearby carbon monoxide detector. The chirping sound is identical. Because it was hardwired into the alarm system, there was no battery to change. I was able to silence the chirping by pushing the "test" button. It turns red and alarm sounds twice, then chirping stops! The green light continued to flash. I called our alarm company in the morning and the unit needed to be replaced. Apparently they last 5 years +- (4 in our case). He replaced both carbon monoxide detectors since the other one was the same age. Back to normal life! (12/03/2010)

By its all good