CandiesBaking & Desserts

Chocolate Covered Swedish Fish

Vote for this contest contender!

I had a big love for chocolate covered gummy bears until I realized that the chocolate would instantly melt off once in your mouth, quickly turning the treat into plain old gummy bears with a flash of chocolate. Because Swedish fish are a bit firmer and you can easily bite into them, the chocolate to gummy ratio is consistent and makes for an awesome sweet snack. I one-upped them by using some of the reds and whites from my Christmas sprinkles to decorate them. It also gives them a nice texture!

You can find good versions of these at speciality candy shops, but they will cost you about $15 per pound. Crazy, right? Make yours for a few bucks with this method!

Total Time: 25 minutes plus chill time

1. Stab the fish in their tail ends with toothpicks, about 1/4 the way in.
  2. Melt the chocolate it a microwave safe bowl on high at 30 second increments, stirring each time, until silky and smooth.
  3. Grab a fish by the toothpick and dunk it into the chocolate, wiping off any excess. You want to keep the fish looking fish-shaped.
  4. Coat with sprinkles.
  5. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
  6. You can remove the sticks if you like, but I like to leave them on and bite on them so I don't throw the whole thing in my mouth. Portion control! ;)