Choosing a Name for Your Dog

Finding the perfect name that best describes your new family member's personality can be a challenge. This is a guide about choosing a name for your dog.

Does anyone have some ideas for dog names?

By Marina Ortiz from Garland, TX

Answers

Your post made me laugh to myself. There was a lady that let her kid name the dog (weiner). Later I asked her if she realized that she would be yelling this down the street.

What should I name my dog?

Mikayla from Houston, US

Answers

By kel. (Guest Post)

give us more info, what kind of dog, how old, what color etc.

By siris. (Guest Post)

If you want to call him"Unknown" You can use "Uno" as his nickname.

Wiggles

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

If it has spots you could name it Freckles. A cute girl's dog name is Cupcake. There's always your standard Princess, Duke, Max, or Lady. If he's regal and proud you could name him Caesar. If she's blonde or white you could name her Daisy. If you like motorcycles name it Harley.

Don't forget to tell us what name you ultimately choose.

Cookie. It is the only thing my dog will come running to! Her real name is Ruby Jewell, aka Ruby J, Pork Chop (she has a weight issue), Scrappy-doo & Boo Boo, all names that she chooses to ignore. But, I yell COOKIE and she will come a-runnin' (hence, the weight issue, if I say Cookie I have to give a Cookie). I always thought it would be funny to name a HUGE dog like a great dane or a mastiff, Kitty. You would holler, "here Kitty, Kitty," and this monster of a dog would come running!" I know, I have a weird sense of humor. My last dog I should have named Hoover or Kirby because she constantly ate things off the floor! I think that a name will just pop into your head eventually and you will just know it is the right one.

By Mitzi (Guest Post)

How about something to do with your town like my dog Webster from North Webster, IN or a name you really like such as my first dog's name Danny or just a cute little name like Scooter or my friends dog named Madonna ... Have fun and have a great life with your doggie!! Mitzi

Picking a name for a dog is worse than picking out a name for a child!! I like to give my dogs people names, seems more personal to me.

Their names are: Kendall (f) Ty (m) Kayla (f) and than there's my husbands dog Lakota (f) named for the Lakota Tribe in where else? the Dakota's :)
We had a dog named 'Arf Arf' when I was little. It took us kids awhile to agree on a name that meanwhile we called him Arf and it stuck !

By Jan (Guest Post)

It would be helpful to know what kind of dog it is. I have 4 Yorkies. Their names are Casey, Corona, Taz (because he always carries something in his mouth), Bailey. I've had Snuggles, Holly (Christmas puppy), & Patches. I love Dakota but my son wants to name his child that if he has a boy. Good Luck. I agree....it is difficult to name a new puppy.

By glinda (Guest Post)

Minnie, Midge, Vic, Josephine, or Addy.

We have a pitbull named Roxxy a beagle named Ranger and a cat named sugar cause she is white as sugar

By Lisa from Lena (Guest Post)

Kitty

I have a female German Shepherd, but I don't know what to name her. I would really like for it to be related to the ocean. Also, my favorite place is North Carolina and it has lots of beaches so maybe the name of one of the beaches?

By Mickey <3 Ginger