Choosing a Name for Your Dog

Girl with Puppy
Finding the perfect name that best describes your new family member's personality can be a challenge. This is a guide about choosing a name for your dog.

Does anyone have some ideas for dog names?

By Marina from Garland, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Your post made me laugh to myself. There was a lady that let her kid name the dog (weiner). Later I asked her if she realized that she would be yelling this down the street.

We just bought a buff colored, registered cocker spaniel. She is 6 months old but we are having problems coming up with a suitable name. Any ideas?

imaqt1962 from IL

I had a buff cocker spaniel growing up! Her name was Cricket!

I need some ideas for a registrable name for my blue brindle American Staffordshire Terrier named Boomer, but the AKC stated to me if I was to register him as just Boomer than a roman numeral five would need to be added to the end. Please help me to decide on a name.

Alaina from Lynchburg, VA

I know they are suppose to have a long name so how about - Boomer Alexander in the air (jones) your last name goes in ( ).or Boomer zad frack gluts the 2nd.or Boomer down under ( ). or -Boomer "the bomb" dundee. maybe? Probably not.. Just a few ideas to kick around maybe get an idea of your own. hope it helped. Sherry

Alaina, will Boomer be used for breeding? That is usually where the big, fancy names come into when registering your dog with the AKC. If Boomer is a family pet and it really isn't important to you to have the big, fancy name, then just name him Boomer V as suggested by the AKC. How about naming him something with your name involved....like Alaina's Boomer (how many dogs could possibly be named that?) My dog is registered with a big, long name and I never call her that anyway! I call her all sorts of nicknames, but I should have named her "Cookie" because that is the only thing that she comes a'runnin to!

This is a good strong name.

When my sister and I had to come up with a name for our dogs. I just gave mine a "real" name, such as Riley Roo (Jones). My sister gave hers a play on her breed. She got a dauchsand and named hers Faith Michaela "XL790" (the type of Datson car, not Dauchsaund). So how about Boomer Stafford (jones)?

Boomer Blue

What should I name my dog?

Mikayla from Houston, US

give us more info, what kind of dog, how old, what color etc.

If you want to call him"Unknown" You can use "Uno" as his nickname.

Wiggles

If it has spots you could name it Freckles. A cute girl's dog name is Cupcake. There's always your standard Princess, Duke, Max, or Lady. If he's regal and proud you could name him Caesar. If she's blonde or white you could name her Daisy. If you like motorcycles name it Harley.

Don't forget to tell us what name you ultimately choose.

Cookie. It is the only thing my dog will come running to! Her real name is Ruby Jewell, aka Ruby J, Pork Chop (she has a weight issue), Scrappy-doo & Boo Boo, all names that she chooses to ignore. But, I yell COOKIE and she will come a-runnin' (hence, the weight issue, if I say Cookie I have to give a Cookie). I always thought it would be funny to name a HUGE dog like a great dane or a mastiff, Kitty. You would holler, "here Kitty, Kitty," and this monster of a dog would come running!" I know, I have a weird sense of humor. My last dog I should have named Hoover or Kirby because she constantly ate things off the floor! I think that a name will just pop into your head eventually and you will just know it is the right one.

How about something to do with your town like my dog Webster from North Webster, IN or a name you really like such as my first dog's name Danny or just a cute little name like Scooter or my friends dog named Madonna ... Have fun and have a great life with your doggie!! Mitzi

Picking a name for a dog is worse than picking out a name for a child!! I like to give my dogs people names, seems more personal to me.

Their names are: Kendall (f) Ty (m) Kayla (f) and than there's my husbands dog Lakota (f) named for the Lakota Tribe in where else? the Dakota's :)

We had a dog named 'Arf Arf' when I was little. It took us kids awhile to agree on a name that meanwhile we called him Arf and it stuck !

It would be helpful to know what kind of dog it is. I have 4 Yorkies. Their names are Casey, Corona, Taz (because he always carries something in his mouth), Bailey. I've had Snuggles, Holly (Christmas puppy), & Patches. I love Dakota but my son wants to name his child that if he has a boy. Good Luck. I agree....it is difficult to name a new puppy.

Minnie, Midge, Vic, Josephine, or Addy.

We have a pitbull named Roxxy a beagle named Ranger and a cat named sugar cause she is white as sugar

Kitty

I love people names for dogs. My dog's name is Dylan, one of the most popular boys' names these days. (Actually he is named for the singer Bob Dylan.) My last dog was named Maxine. If you encounter other people with the same name, don't worry. I consider it a compliment that my dog's name is the same as theirs, as I love my dog so much and he's part of the family. Sometimes as old fashioned name that is hardly used anymore is fun for a dog too.

Go with his personality and looks. I adopted a dog named Charlie, and he looks like the dog Charlie from "All Dogs Go to Heaven" (but is a big dork!) We kept the name because he is so sweet and silly! I had a cat that the previous owners' named Cleopatra, but with her broken tail and the fact she was born in mexico, I changed her name to Lupe, which suited her even better (though some people called her Loopy because she had NO coordination!) Just go with your instincts on this!

I have a female German Shepherd, but I don't know what to name her. I would really like for it to be related to the ocean. Also, my favorite place is North Carolina and it has lots of beaches so maybe the name of one of the beaches?

By Mickey & Ginger

Answer Was this helpful? 1