Cigarette Smoke Coming In from Outside

How can I prevent my neighbour's smoke from coming in my windows without having to keep my windows closed? They smoke in front of their house more than 10 times a day, about 4 people smoking. My house is attached to their house. I have 3 little windows in front and can not circulate air through my house or open my front door without smelling smoke. Maybe I could plant something in between our houses. Help please!

By Loni C.

Have you tried talking to them? If they seem approachable you might be surprised at their shock and horror at the thought they've been inflicting their cigarette smoke on you.

Hopefully you and they can brainstorm some kind of solution. If your homes have a back door, maybe they could smoke back there at their side of the back garden? Maybe at the side, or in their private garden area if they have one?

Good luck, I hope things work out for you. I'm a smoker and would be horrified if I found I'd inflicted my smoking on my neighbour-I hope yours feel the same way. You shouldn't have to keep your windows closed to keep unwanted smoke out.

Could you place a fan on your porch aimed at their smoke? Might not be too obvious! Or even place one in your window(s) to blow it back out and away. What a horrible thing to have to experience.

I just can't believe people continue to smoke with all the evidence against it! My sister always tells smokers sitting next to her that she throws up to the left (if they are on her left) when she smells smoke and conversely to the right. Good Luck!

I have been physically ill for the better part of a year, because... according to the apt. complex's manager (also a smoker!), the "rights of a smoker supersede the rights of a non-smoker!" While I am an educated, bright woman (and I've done my research! The idea that "smokers have legal rights non-smokers don't is a complete fabrication!)... If you have someone in a position of authority that makes decisions based on their personal feelings, it will be a rough ride (if you decide to fight the ignorance). I am now to the point, physically, where I have to visit a pulmonary specialist...

a doctor I probably would have never come in contact with (I have never smoked a day in my life), had it not been for this unthinkable situation! Regardless, I will fight till the bitter end... for myself, other non-smokers & all the innocents (babies, young children, the disabled & elderly) who can't fight or speak for themselves.

P.S... There is no logical reason why non-smokers should have to foot the bill for fans, air "purifiers" or anything else meant to keep a smoker's deadly smoke from coming into our homes and our bodies!