TaxesBudget & Finance

Claiming Step Children on Taxes

Can I claim my stepdaughter on my taxes if I support her and she is a full-time student that lives under my roof?

Since she is college age, will this be your first year claiming her on your taxes?

• This will not make a difference unless the person who has been claiming her in past years also claims her this year. If this was her mother and she is now filing with you then it will matter.
  • The first rule for claiming a "child" is that you are filling a joint or head of household return.
  • Here are the other basic IRS rules: Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Ad

• Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them?
  • Here are a couple of sites to check out:
  • www.1040.com/.../
  • www.irs.gov/.../qualifying-child-rules

I am sorry that I made an error in my answer.
I stated:
If this was her mother and she is now filing with you then it will matter.
I meant to say: If this was her mother and she is now filing with you then it will NOT matter.

There are many rules (and some exceptions to those rules) but to claim a person as a "dependent" the IRS has several qualifying rules.

If your stepchild meets all of those rules then you will be able to claim her.

If you provide more than 50% of her support, you can.