Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets

Category Dishes
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cookie sheets can end up with burnt grease and batter stuck to the sheet after you have finished baking that batch of yummy cookies. This is a guide about cleaning burnt cookie sheets.

I have looked at a lot of burnt pan topics but I don't see what I need. My pan is not something I can boil in. I have a small toaster oven pan that seems to be double thick, not really thin. I have a black layer of burnt on ready to eat foods (fish sticks etc.) that I cannot get off.

I have tried vinegar with baking soda and peroxide and a few drops of soap and I have tried Dawn scrubber spray but it didn't work. There is a circle that is not burnt in the middle of the pan, and burnt black all around the edges. I have soaked it. I can't boil it because its a cookie sheet sort of pan. Any suggestions? I have tried the Magic Eraser (is that useful for anything) and the green scrubbie pads. I can't tell what it is. It's not coated for sure, but I imagine its aluminum.

By kristihilmoe from VA

You can try oven cleaner and letting it soak for a while or dish washer detergent, diluted and left to soak. It may be easier to replace it. The best way to avoid this happening is to spray it with a spray like pam before each use and then a proper cleaning afterwards. I know, that's like shutting the door after the horse is gone :)

I've read through the solutions for removing burned food from stainless cookware, but I have burned apple pie juice on an insulated cookie sheet, which cannot be soaked. Any suggestions, besides throwing it out?

Dee from St. Paul, MN

I've soaked a thick cloth (old bath cloth) in whatever I'm using to clean with (usually dishwasher detergent and water) and laid it over the area and tilted it into the sink so water doesn't run all over the place. I let it soak over night and most of the time it comes right off. Sometimes I have to re-wet the cloth and soak longer but not usually.

Sprinkle baking soda on it like cleanser and scrub with a sponge. Baking soda reacts with the carbon in a burnt spot.

try a 50/50 solution of cream of tartar and white vinegar. i read it somewhere on the net and have been using it like crazy on my pans with old crud on them. they look fabulous. mix it in a custard cup and spread on (use your fingers). let sit for a little bit then scrub with your scrubber of choice. neat trick!

Borax is great for cleaning stuff. Make a paste with your favorite cleaner and scrub. Or try soaking it in the bathtub.

Have you tried the Dawn power disolver spray? I love that stuff! It makes my cookie sheets look like new.

I've done the same as Glenn'sMom above, I use an old washcloth or hand towel, soak it in water and lay it over the burnt area. It will loosen.

I've also put water in the pan and put it back in the oven, the water gets hot as does the pan which makes it easier to remove the burned goop. This works great for stovetop pans as well.

I use spray on oven cleaner when my cookie sheets & baking pans start looking bad. I just spray on & let it sit over night.