Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Category Floors
Linoleum, made from ground wood or cork and usually linseed oil, is susceptible to discoloration. This is a guide about cleaning discolored linoleum.

My linoleum in the bathroom all around the toilet area has turned a reddish or rusty looking colour. I have tried numerous cleaners.

By Lorraine

Answers

Best Answer

The wax seal under your toilet may have failed. Google "DIY toilet replacement" or call a plumber. Leaving it alone may cause worse problems down the road.

The white linoleum in my bathroom has become yellowed and discolored. When I move a potted plant it was still white underneath. I have tried most things, but nothing is working.

By Pam60 from Gloucestershire, UK

Answers

Best Answer

Might be wax buildup. Try stripping the wax then start again. Good luck

I recently noticed a bottle of Windex had spilled onto my linoleum floor. I tried a combination of bleach and then vinegar and baking soda and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions?

Answers

This MIGHT work. Test it in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won't completely change the linoleum. Lay down paper towel, 1 or 2 layers, over the stain. Doesn't have to be too far over into the part that is not stained. Then, carefully pour or spray (until saturated), bleach on the paper towels. The idea of the towels is to keep the bleach from evaporating easily and keep it from spreading everywhere.

Start checking after about 5 minutes to see if it has started working. It might be gone in 5 minutes, or it may take a little longer, but if it is going to work, you will definitely see a difference after 5 minutes. If there's little or no difference, go ahead and pick up your towels, because it's not going anywhere. I have used this method for mold, and for clothing dye wasted in strange places like on top of the washing machine, in an old enameled sink, tile, well you get the idea. But definitely test it first to be sure it won't also change the color of the linoleum.

How do I remove stains on linoleum flooring? They are from the plywood floor beneath the linoleum. It is a pink/red colored ink like stuff that is all around the border of plywood and it just seeped through to the linoleum flooring. I've tried everything!

By Cheryl from Huntsville, AL

Answers

After trying spray cleaner, rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish remover, and you see that it isn't working, then I would do the following after rinsing the floor off:
Rub the area with superfine (number 0000) steel wool dipped in liquid floor wax.
Wash the area with soapy water, dry, then wax as usual.
Hope this helps!

I had new wood-grain linoleum put on my kitchen floor. I had my dog's water dish on a carpet in the kitchen. When I went to scrub the floor, the floor underneath the water dish is now almost white. Is there anything I can do to revive the color in the floor?

Please help! My husband is going to be really upset.

Thank you,
Betty Jean DeFazio from Orangeburg, SC

Answers

Remove the rug and let floor dry thoroughly...Perhaps you could try using wood stain, on the discolored linoleum, using a paint brush, to brush the stain on the linoleum...OR, you could try clothing dye...Mix a "strong" solution, if using powdered dye or use straight out of the bottle, if using liquid dye...Brush either of these on with a paint brush also...Good Luck! Let us know if either of these suggestions work!

New scatter rugs left a nice rust colored impression on my bathroom floor. I have tried bleach (for 24 hours), baking soda mixed with peroxide, mineral oil, and normal household cleaners with no results at all.

Is there anything that can do the job?

By Barb K M

My dog peed on the red "brick"; patterned linoleum floor and when I found it (the next day) and cleaned it, it seemed to take the red color up with it. Is there any product that will hide (or at least blend) the discolored area? Red wax?

By Naomi R

My linoleum is yellow and I want to know how to get it white again?

By Donna from Big Bend, WI

Load More