Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Category Floors
Linoleum, made from ground wood or cork and usually linseed oil, is susceptible to discoloration. This is a guide about cleaning discolored linoleum.

My linoleum in the bathroom all around the toilet area has turned a reddish or rusty looking colour. I have tried numerous cleaners.

By Lorraine

Answers

Best Answer

The wax seal under your toilet may have failed. Google "DIY toilet replacement" or call a plumber. Leaving it alone may cause worse problems down the road.

The white linoleum in my bathroom has become yellowed and discolored. When I move a potted plant it was still white underneath. I have tried most things, but nothing is working.

By Penny from Gloucestershire, UK

Answers

Best Answer

Might be wax buildup. Try stripping the wax then start again. Good luck

I recently noticed a bottle of Windex had spilled onto my linoleum floor. I tried a combination of bleach and then vinegar and baking soda and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions?

Answers

This MIGHT work. Test it in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won't completely change the linoleum. Lay down paper towel, 1 or 2 layers, over the stain. Doesn't have to be too far over into the part that is not stained. Then, carefully pour or spray (until saturated), bleach on the paper towels. The idea of the towels is to keep the bleach from evaporating easily and keep it from spreading everywhere.

Start checking after about 5 minutes to see if it has started working. It might be gone in 5 minutes, or it may take a little longer, but if it is going to work, you will definitely see a difference after 5 minutes. If there's little or no difference, go ahead and pick up your towels, because it's not going anywhere. I have used this method for mold, and for clothing dye wasted in strange places like on top of the washing machine, in an old enameled sink, tile, well you get the idea. But definitely test it first to be sure it won't also change the color of the linoleum.

How do I remove stains on linoleum flooring? They are from the plywood floor beneath the linoleum. It is a pink/red colored ink like stuff that is all around the border of plywood and it just seeped through to the linoleum flooring. I've tried everything!

By Cheryl from Huntsville, AL

Answers

After trying spray cleaner, rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish remover, and you see that it isn't working, then I would do the following after rinsing the floor off:
Rub the area with superfine (number 0000) steel wool dipped in liquid floor wax.
Wash the area with soapy water, dry, then wax as usual.
Hope this helps!

I had new wood-grain linoleum put on my kitchen floor. I had my dog's water dish on a carpet in the kitchen. When I went to scrub the floor, the floor underneath the water dish is now almost white. Is there anything I can do to revive the color in the floor?

Please help! My husband is going to be really upset.

Thank you,
Betty Jean DeFazio from Orangeburg, SC

Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)

Remove the rug and let floor dry thoroughly...Perhaps you could try using wood stain, on the discolored linoleum, using a paint brush, to brush the stain on the linoleum...OR, you could try clothing dye...Mix a "strong" solution, if using powdered dye or use straight out of the bottle, if using liquid dye...Brush either of these on with a paint brush also...Good Luck! Let us know if either of these suggestions work!

New scatter rugs left a nice rust colored impression on my bathroom floor. I have tried bleach (for 24 hours), baking soda mixed with peroxide, mineral oil, and normal household cleaners with no results at all.

Is there anything that can do the job?

By Barb K M

My dog peed on the red "brick"; patterned linoleum floor and when I found it (the next day) and cleaned it, it seemed to take the red color up with it. Is there any product that will hide (or at least blend) the discolored area? Red wax?

By Naomi R

My linoleum is yellow and I want to know how to get it white again?

By Donna Holtz from Big Bend, WI

I am looking for a solution to cleaning my no wax floor which has turned yellow under a rug. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Margie.

Editor's Note: This request was in response to a Linoleum request so I assume she is referring to a No Wax Linoleum floor. Please be sure which type of flooring you have before trying these remedies. Linoleum and vinyl are completely different materials.

Answers:

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Never place rubber on vinyl flooring. A chemical reaction between the rubber and the vinyl will cause flooring discoloration. This is irreversible. (09/02/2004)

By D. Hodge

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It just might work. It's a chemical free thing you can try.
Susan from ThriftyFun. (02/06/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

This chemical reaction is permanent.
The only solution is to replace the tile or get a bigger floor mat and glue it to the surface. (03/26/2005)

By James

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I used mineral spirits and it removed most of mine. (04/28/2005)

By Debbie

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I first tried the Mr Clean Magic eraser. It didn't do anything. I then tried the Chlorox full strength. It took a couple of applications and it is nearly white. I will do it again tomorrow and I'm sure it will be completely gone. One nice thing is that it did not affect the grey square line nor the green diamond pattern. Thanks for the tip and I know I will be sharing this around. (04/12/2007)

By Kathie

Teak Wood Bath Mats

Be careful of those teak bath mats as well. I bought one, had it on the bathroom floor and it created streaks where the feet touched. Looks like pee stains. To add to the fun, the bath mat is molding and the whole reason I bought this was because people said it would stay cleaner longer. The rumor mill is working overtime it seems. (06/24/2007)

By Annoyed Apartment Resident

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

The problem you are having is not from the rug being on the floor. Builders these days use lower end vinyl floors that tend to yellow when anything is laid on them, including carpets (of all types of backings), cardboard, plant pots, etc. These floors are only designed to be down for 5-7 years expecting the home owner to either want a change or to sell the house. The upper grade linoleum floors rarely have a problem of this nature. (08/22/2007)

By Brian

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

OxiClean with boiling water works very well. Just mix 1/4 cup to a gallon of very hot or boiling water. (08/31/2007)

By Angela

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

If it's linoleum that you have, then the yellowing you're seeing is due to the linseed oil (the major ingredient in linoleum) coming to the surface. The way to cure this is to simply take the rug off and expose the area to light. It could take a few hours or a few days, depending on the amount of light you can get to the affected area. Natural light works the best. Cleaning will not make the yellowing disappear. Hope that's helpful. (09/03/2007)

By Erika

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

DO NOT BLEACH! Using full strength bleach on vinyl/linoleum floors can actually damage the floor. I used Clorox to clean up spilled chicken juice in my kitchen, and it left a dull patch on the floor. No more shine. I have tried many things to get the yellowing stain off my floor, it is permanent. (12/28/2007)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have recently heard that ammonia works to clean the yellowing linoleum. I am going to try it myself to see how well it works. (03/25/2008)

By

Cleaning Discolored Linoleum

I have used Johnson Floor Stripper and then resealed with High Speed Floro Finish. However, I am in the process of redoing the floor (every other year) and cannot find these products. Linoleum is not vinyl and people keep pointing me to products that are for vinyl. Good luck. (08/23/2008)

By Jeanne

Does anyone know how to get rid of "yellow" wear stains out of linoleum tiles? My linoleum floors are still in good shape, but have yellowed over the years. Any suggestions?

Crystal from Arvada, CO

Answers:

Yellowed Linoleum Tiles

I took a Mr. Clean magic eraser to my mother in laws 20 some year old floor, and with a little scrubbing, I got up a lot of the stains. they are cheap, about a dollar a piece. hope this helps (01/23/2007)

By me

Yellowed Linoleum Tiles

The yellowing is from dirt that is ground into the wax. We had the same thing when we moved in. We were able to bring the floor back to about 85% by scrubbing the floor w/ a 50% ammonia, 50% water mixture - using a serious green scrub. This actually strips the wax from the floor, taking the grime with it. THE KEY is that when you're done, you need to put a layer or two of wax back on. I just bought it from a local Ace Hardware and used a rag towel to slosh it back on. We put 3 coats on (dry well between each coat) and it is really a ton easier to keep clean now. Lots of work - but glad we did it. You could do it in sections if the whole thing is too much. (01/24/2007)

By Carla J. Sanders

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Load More