Cleaning Hair Off Towels

Category Laundry
stainless steel laundry basket with dirty towels
Hair, whether human or pet, can be difficult to remove from towels in the laundry. This is a guide about cleaning hair off towels.

How can I keep hair from clinging to my towels during washing and drying? They come out of the dryer full of hair! Help!

rjw from GA

Answers

Fabric softener is not suggested for towels. Have you tried using vinegar in the rinse cycle...about a half cup to a cup depending on load size? Or try shaking out your hair towels prior to washing them. Also hair will cling more to towels with any type of synthetic material vs all cotton towels.

I have long hair and don't have trouble with it sticking to towels but it does stick something fierce to my fleece lap blanket.

I've taken to using nylon net to collect lint, etc. from clothes in my washing. It has worked pretty well with my towels too. Just purchase a yard of nylon net - any color - and put it in the washing machine with the other wash. Then put the net aside and save for next load. I have put it in the dryer too, but I don't think it's making a diff there...just in the wash. Try it!

A little fabric softener will help. Also, try not to get your towels 100% dry, as static will build up.

as a hairdresser I have ongoing problems in removing hair from towels when washing and even after being washed, the hair sticks to the cotton towel fibres! I have had to hand pick the hairs out afterwards -very time consuming!! how can I improve the wash as I have 30 or so weekly to do!!

Anonymous

I don't think you have cotton towels. I bought a couple microfiber wash cloths and everything sticks them! I don't have a solution for you except to purchase genuine cotton towels, even one or two at a time if you can't afford to buy more. It will be worth it.

I've been sick and my hair has been coming out a lot everywhere, but the most frustrating is the way my hair, it's long for now, gets into towels. It's almost as though my towel, plush 100% cotton, is working like a magic brush works on clothes. I do brush before I wash, but it still comes out in the drain and towel, etc. I've tried using tape, but the hair just breaks. I don't want to cut my hair short yet.

Have you discussed this with your doctor-the hair loss may not be related to your recent illness?

Try using an old cotton tee shirt to dry your hair-cotton and other towels cause friction on your hair when drying and can damage the hair shaft. A tee shirt is kinder and gentler with your hair and will not cause damage in drying. Also, you might let your hair "air dry" to reduce drying damage.