Cleaning Old Perfume Bottles

Category Miscellaneous
Ornate glass perfume bottles have been collected for generations. They can be difficult to clean safely and thoroughly. This is a guide about cleaning old perfume bottles.

I would like to repurpose an old perfume bottle. How do I remove the remaining scent? I am highly allergic to the perfume itself, but the bottle is old. It is a beautiful little glass bird and the top/cap is the head which screws onto the body. The cap has crumbling cork around the insert and I don't want to damage it further.
Thanks for your help!

Answers

Best Answer

There are several ways to clean perfume bottles and some work better than others and it may be due to the type of perfume as all perfumes/colognes have different ingredients but most all have some sort of oil. That oil retains the "smell" and is sometimes very difficult to remove.
This residue will also be on the cork material on the cap/top. Old cork is easy to crumble but you may be able to replace it. Look at the cork carefully and see if you can remove it and replace it with a same size cork - you may have to cut a hole in the cork and glue it on where you removed the old cork.

Since there are many styles of cap/tops with cork you will have to decide about this suggestion.
I have listed several links to different instructions so maybe when you have time you can glance through one or more.
One interesting item is using uncooked rice with a solution:

www.ehow.com/how_6592485_clean-perfume-bottles...

www.ebay.com/.../g.html

living.thebump.com/clean-perfume-bottles-10556.html

Rinse the glass in equal parts vodka and warm water several times.

I would soak it in diluted vinegar overnight.

I would use a warm soapy wash using dawn (to cut the oils) and vinegar.