Cleaning Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Category Appliances
If you or your kids have accidentally used a permanent marker on your fridge door, you should be able to remove it. This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker on a refrigerator.

How do you remove old permanent marker off of refrigerator with an "orange peel" surface texture?

Answers

By Ronda DeWulf (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have you ever tried Solumel from Melaleuca or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? I have found that both these products are wonderfully helpful when I have a crisis with stains in my household.

Best Answer

I used Awesome from the dollar store, worked great.

By Shayne (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I just found that Magic eraser and rubbing alcohol worked great. The permanent marker came off, some of it wiped right off the other part I had to scrub a little, put I got it all off the refrigerator the kitchen floor and the walls.

By Pearl (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Chemico pink paste. Nothing moved the felt pen and I was sure we were stuck with someone's foolish expectation that felt pen could be easily removed.

Well the Chemico is the miracle worker.

By Shelby (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Today I came here because I got permanent marker on my mom's countertop (I think it is formica). I'm only 14 so I don't know much about cleaning. I tried everything from salt water, easy-off BAM, and scrubbing bubbles, even toothpaste but nothing worked. I had to tell my mom, of course, and she tried Bar Keeper's Friend (the powder) and it came right off. I hope this helps!

By Shan (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My daughter scribbled all over the front of my White Refrigerator in regular writing Blue Ink Pen. After reading the posts here, I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some perfume. It lifted the ink on contact and broke it up so all I had to do was wipe it off. My husband came with his cologne half way through the cleaning and it didn't work as well as my perfume. So maybe if one perfume doesn't work as well, try another. I used "Jadore" by Christian Dior.

Thank you all for the tips! You saved me!!(2/08/08)

By Jennifer (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Aquafresh Triple Action Toothpaste took it right off when alcohol, perfume, WD40, fingernail polish remover, and shaving cream did not work at all.

By Doug (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've used permanent markers on the job everyday for 35 years. When I mark an object (metal ie) incorrectly I just go over the mark again with the permanent marker and wipe immediately with a rag the wet marker will draw out the dry first mark making it easier to wipe off.

How do I get permanent marker off a white fridge?

Chris from Canada

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

I got permenant marker on the counter. I wet a paper towel and put a little bit of Soft Scrub on the counter. I rubbed and the marker came right off. Don't know why it wouldn't work the same on the refrigerator. (12/20/2006)

By Linda

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Toothpaste also works on some surfaces. (12/20/2006)

By Bonnie

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

I had that permanent marker on my fridge before and what takes it completely off is baking soda on a scotch pad. I would not do any nail polish remover as that could ruin the surface of the door. (12/20/2006)

By trayj24736.

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I got magic marker off of a plastic outdoor table, I hope it will work for you! (12/20/2006)

By H from Illinois

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Alcohol is the correct answer, thats why the ink dries so quickly. I mean to say that what keeps the ink inside the marker from drying is alcohol. So the correct solvent should be alcohol. If you are not a drinker, then try some cologne or perfume spray. These have alcohol and work well too. Alcohol will not harm the paint on the refrigerator as the paint on the refrigerator is mostly oil based. (12/21/2006)

By Guest

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Spray a little hair spray on a rag and rub the spot. (12/21/2006)

By Janice

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Use a q-tip to carefully apply nail polish remover and rub until the marks are gone. (12/27/2006)

By Allison

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

I came to this page because this JUST happened to me! It was blue, black, and red dry erase marker. Hairspray, rubbing alcohol, gel cuticle remover, and nail polish remover DID NOT work. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser faded it some. The winner is Soft Scrub with bleach! My hero! And no more babysitters! (01/16/2007)

By Jennifer

I need suggestions on what to use to remove permenant marker ink (red) from my refrigerator.

Thanks,
Pat from FL

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? I got it to take permanent marker off something else once. Vinegar is also a wonderful cleaner. Good luck! (11/02/2005)

By Sara C

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Acetone! We use this at work, and it will take permanent marker off of nearly any non-permeable surface. (11/02/2005)

By wes

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Try nailpolish remover - that stuff shifts a whole range of things! (11/02/2005)

By goatgirl

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Hairspray works on most permanent marker marks. (11/02/2005)

By JG

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

It's amazing! My daughter wrote with permanent marker on entertainment center, living room carpet, and a dining room chair when she was younger. I read about a household hint of using HAIRSPRAY. I sprayed it on all three locations and the marker came right off. (11/03/2005)

By Stroeger

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

OOPs, GooGone or WD-40 (11/03/2005)

By Linda

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

Rubbing alchohol was the first and only thing I had to try. My daughter had a dry erase board on the fridge and decided she would decorate all around it with permanent marker. I just poured it on a paper towel and barely even scrubbed. Came right off. (01/09/2006)

By jill

Permanent Marker on a Refrigerator

The bug spray OFF got permanent marker off of my brand new washer and dryer after my kids used it as a drawing board. You just spray it on and watch it dissolve. I was amazed. It was such a simple remedy after I had spent two hours scrubbing it and it had barely even faded. (09/16/2006)

By Amber