Cleaning Shower Tiles

Category Bathroom
Man Cleaning Shower Tiles
Cleaning the tiles in your shower can be a messy, but necessary job. This is a guide about cleaning shower tiles.

Does anyone know of a natural shower spray? Although I know it works, I don't want to use bleach because it is a poison. I am trying to eliminate all such cleaning products from my home.

I had read in one of the posts that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda worked to remove the mildew. But I would like to try a daily spray-on solution for the tile in my shower. I squeegee my shower doors and after reading all the posts, will start to use the fan in my bathroom. But that still leaves the problem of the natural tile spray-on solution. Thanks.

Audrey from Boca Raton, FL

Try tipnut.com or keepitcheap.blogspot.com.

I would think that something with vinegar or baking soda would be a good start.

You can try a spray bottle with water and a few drops of tea tree oil. It has a nice scent and it's anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It helped me with mildew issues in my toilet bowl a few years ago. If it works, make sure to post it as a tip!

I use a mixture of jet dry (dish washer drying agent) vinegar and dawn dish washing detergent in a spray bottle.

1 cup vinegar

1/4 cup jet dry (can use dollar store brand)

and two drops of dawn dish washing detergent

Keeps the shower from getting soap build up.

Just don't use the baking soda or vinegar together.

The white tile around my bathtub has turned yellow. What can I use to clean the tile and make it white again?

By Pat S from Denton, MD

Have you tried the Magic Eraser? I was amazed by what that little tool can do! Also, depending on the material you might try some muratic acid. Use the acid with care, read directions, use heavy duty gloves, eye protection, mask, etc. I laid tile in an add-on bathroom & didn't get the grout cleaned up quickly enough. I had to mix the muratic acid & scrub some. It did a great job, but I made the kids & pets leave the house & worked small areas at a time.

Try the Magic Erasers first! :)

Ceramic tile will not "turn yellow", so you must have soap scum and/or hard water lime deposits. To remove those, you can start with vinegar, which is not as strong an acid as muratic, and may do the trick. Spray it on full strength and leave for a few minutes. Scrub.

If it is mostly soap buildup, a cleaner like Mr Clean or an abrasive cleaner like Comet will work. Wet down the tile, sprinkle or splash on the cleanser, let sit, and then use an abrasive sponge (one with a scrubby thing on one side). I sometimes use the Magic Eraser with Mr Clean liquid. It is a slightly abrasive sponge type thing, really, but it wears away very quickly.

What is the best cleaning solution for cleaning ceramic shower tiles so they look nice and glossy afterwards and not show water marks? Is there something that will both do this and clean the grout as well?

Debbie from Garden City, MI

Have you tried toothpaste ? murphys oil soap -- or car wash and wax. My mom used to use car wax on the kitchen floor all of the time.

One suggestion, after the tile is clean is to give it a light coat of baby oil to shine and resist new stains!

How do I clean very dirty bathroom wall tiles? I have arthritis and can't clean it but have someone who will. What can be used to make this job not so tough but will clean and make the tile shine again? It is ceramic tile.

By Kathy from New Orleans, LA

What's the most effective lemon cleaner for bathroom shower tile?

By Fred C.